• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Pump Not working

Donovan2001

Hello,

I recently got my Healey to turn over and the next step is to check if the fuel is getting to the carburetors. There is No fuel getting pumped thru the fuel lines. Then, I checked if power was getting to the fuel pump. There is No power getting to the pump.

So, I went and looked at the wire diagram and started tracing the wires. The first point I hit was the fuse box.

Is this the correct procedure? How do I check the fuses? Is there something I'm missing or am I right on track?

Thank you for your help

Donovan

65 AH 3000 MKIII

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Donovan2001 said:
Hello,

I recently got my Healey to turn over and the next step is to check if the fuel is getting to the carburetors. There is No fuel getting pumped thru the fuel lines. Then, I checked if power was getting to the fuel pump. There is No power getting to the pump.

So, I went and looked at the wire diagram and started tracing the wires. The first point I hit was the fuse box.

Is this the correct procedure?

It is a good start However, power to the pump does not go through the fuses it is routed through the ignition switch. :yesnod:

How do I check the fuses?

1] Hold the fuse up to a light and see if the wire inside is not broken.

2] With the voltmeter set on Volts measure the voltage at both ends of the fuse it should be the same if it is good.It will read good on one end but "0" on the other if bad.

Is there something I'm missing or am I right on track?
Yu headein in the right direction.---Keoke-- :laugh:

Thank you for your help

Donovan

65 AH 3000 MKIII

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
On my BN7, the fuel pump gets it's power from the input side of the fuse box. It is not fused. Is it different on a BJ8? On mine the power comes from the ignition switch and goes directly to fuel pump, not through the fuse.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
TimK said:
On my BN7, the fuel pump gets it's power from the input side of the fuse box. It is not fused. Is it different on a BJ8? On mine the power comes from the ignition switch and goes directly to fuel pump, not through the fuse.
From the factory, a BJ8 fuel pump isn't fused. All white wires aren't fused unless one had been moved to the green side of the fuse block or an in-line was installed. Lots can happen in a 40+ year old car. :cryin:

OP
D

Donovan2001

GregW,

The color coded wiring diagram that I got from this forum for a Later 3000 and the Bentley manual both match up. The W wire going into the 3 slot of the fuse unit. Am I missing something? I've looked at it three times.

Also, the ground is good. It should send power thru the wire when the ignition is in the On position. correct?

Thank you

65 AH 3000 MKIII

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Donovan2001 said:
GregW,

The color coded wiring diagram that I got from this forum for a Later 3000 and the Bentley manual both match up. The W wire going into the 3 slot of the fuse unit. Am I missing something? I've looked at it three times.

Also, the ground is good.<span style="font-weight: bold"> It should send power thru the wire when the ignition is in the On position. correct?</span>
Correct. When the key is switched to "on" the light on the tach, the fuel pump and the overdrive should be active. Did you check the fuse as Keoke suggested? The key should be on for that.

Country flag
You can test the fuel pump while still attached to the car by turning off the battery switch (or disconnect the battery) and run wires to the pump connections. If pos ground connect the neg terminal of battery to the post under the black thumb screw and the other battery post to ground on the pump. If it ticks, pump works. Then turn on battery switch with out the wire to the ground of the pump and if it ticks, your grounding is okay.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well TH the pump is grounded through its body the wire is just a bit of additional insurance.---Keoke

OP
D

Donovan2001

Okay, I checked the fuses I got zero reading with the ignition in the On position. I had a hunch to check the power to the ignition in the On position. There was no power, the wires were backwards in the darn ignition :frown:. I corrected the fix then tested the power cables again to the fuel pump. I got a solid reading of 12.50V.

Next, I took tahoe healey's quote and plugged in the fuel pump to try to hear a tick-tick....

I heard no sounds so I'm assuming the fuel pump is BAD. Correct? Just want some assurance.

Keoke, I tested the fuses and received readings on them. They were very bouncy though. They jumped from 6.00V to 12.50V. The connectors probably have to be cleaned or I can just order a fuse unit. They're pretty cheap.

Thank you

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah they are dirty clean them up. Measure the voltage at the pump with the switch on then tap the pump body lightly with a hammer-- :laugh:

OP
D

Donovan2001

No go, still No ticking. In-fact when I took it out, and turned it on its side small pieces of black stuff came out of the valves. I think the diaphragm is broken.

65 AH 3000 MKIII

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
<span style="color: #FF0000">small pieces of black stuff came out </span>

Ooooer, for my money, I would replace the pump now and not try to fix the old one.

Have one of those new fangled electronic ones, I did when mine failed and I've had no problems since.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
D

Donovan2001

Thanks Bob and Keoke,

I went and ordered the electronic one. Once I install the device I'll give you guys a status.

:smile:

Thank you for the help

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good you might want to disconnect the fuel line at the carbs and using air blow it out while the you are waiting for the pump . Just might be full of gunk.??--Keoke

OP
D

Donovan2001

I received the new fuel pump and installed it. Now, when I turn the ignition to the On position I hear the ticking noise :smile:. I went ahead and replaced the fuel lines as well because the car was sitting for so long and there have never been replaced. I poured some gas in the tank and tried to start the car. Still No Start :(, but I can smell the gas at the carburetor end.

My next post will be the distributor and is the car getting spark.

Thanks

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
If the rubber in the fuel pump went bad, it isn't a huge leap that the carbs may need attention. Also give the brakes a good inspection before you get that thing rolling.

OP
D

Donovan2001

oh :smile: we are a long way from rolling it off the line. I got the rebuild kits for the carbs and when I press on the clutch there seems to be hardly any pressure. I think the brakes are completely shot too. :smile:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Donovan

If the car has been sitting for an age then you will definitely need to clean the carbs up, I have a rolling resto and if she is parked up for 3 or 4 months without running, I know that I have to strip them down. Tried everything before, including easy start, but no go.

As you say check your sparks as well, but my bet is the carbs.

:cheers:

Bob