• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Front End Alignment guru wanted

pjsmetana said:
I like this approach myself https://www.allpar.com/fix/alignment.html

Nothing more than some push-pins and a piece of string. I've seen this same trick done with tape instead of push-pins at the track. Fast and easy.
Makes sense to me. But it needs a flat level space long enough to roll the car for over 3' (1/2 wheel turn). No problemo at the track, but my garage isn't that long and the driveway isn't flat.

Thanks again to everyone, particularly Art & Randall, for your input and help. I got the R&P conversion in and aligned early on Saturday morning, then took a drive out to Jersey.

I have to concur with Art on how much of a difference the R&P makes on a 3. Out of any of the modifications I've done, this is the most striking. It's really like driving a different car. I used to have a good 2"-3" of play on my steering wheel (steering box was in bad shape, but I was used to it). Now there is no slop whatsoever. The responsiveness and road feel are 100% better. Randall, I know you're a proponent of a properly setup steering box & worm gear, but if anyone is thinking seriously about this conversion, I say go for it. Simply awesome.

I purchased the kit from these guys (as did Art):

British Auto Restorations LLC
2136 Patterson Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24016-2512
Phone: (540) 989-5121

Cost was about $895, as I already had converted to an electric fan-only setup, which took $100 off the normal price of $995. Still waaaay cheaper than the BPNW setup.

The funny thing is that I used to think of things like hard starting and hard steering as anti-theft deterrents for the car. Now that those issues are fixed I may finally install a kill switch!

Cheers,
Gavin

Way to go Gavin! Glad you got it all together. Now you'll just have to work on the directional signal control and the horn, but that's all pretty easy compared to the intallation of the rack. Give me a call if you need any specifics.

And if you do want to stay with the stock control head, Bastuck separately sells the clever little part that attaches to the upper steering section and lets you retain the horn/turn signal. All you lose is the self canceling feature.

TR4nut said:
All you lose is the self canceling feature.
Doesn't the control head also turn with the wheel?

newmexTR3 said:
Randall, I know you're a proponent of a properly setup steering box & worm gear,
Hey, it's your car, it should please you!

I'll have to admit, the project TR3 doesn't steer as sweet as the wrecked 3A. Not sure why yet, maybe it wants new trunnions or something. Could be the antique tires on the front too (but it wasn't any better with newer skinny Kumhos).

But I briefly tried keeping up with some sport bikers coming over Angeles Crest Highway on Saturday and the old girl did good. Seriously scary at first, hitting curves marked at 30 with the speedo up around 60 but the cornering was awesome.

I even got stuck behind some Harleys that were driving too slow!
:laugh:

Yes, the trafficator does turn with the wheel. That's one of the reasons why I opted for the MGA switch. The other is, of course no canceling. At least with the MGA switch, if you forget, it will turn off in 20 seconds. Since I've been driving the car, the MGA switch on the dash is getting quite intuitive.