• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing the steering column.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I need to remove the steering column on my early BJ8. I just received my "work shop" manual and it did not even mention the steering column at all. Is there another manual I need for info on the column and the trafficator? I was not impressed with the "work shop" manual. Thanks for your help and have a good day!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI John, Here is a way to remove it. Remove the Grill.Disconnect the Trafficator wiring under the bonnet. Loosen the grub screws in the steering wheel and remove the trafficator. Loosen the steering wheel adjuster and remove the circlip at the end of the inner tube, Remove the steering wheel. Disconnect the Pitman arm from its steering kinkages.Look up under the dash and you will see a clamp holding the column in place remove it. Remove the steering box from its mounting under the car,Now the unit can be removed by carefully negotiating it out using the apperature on the left side of the radiator.---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
and it did not even mention the steering column at all. Is there another manual I need for info on the column and the trafficator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi John, the steering gear assembly removal is covered in section K.4 and the trafficator (horn quadrant) in N.31 It's true that the trafficator repair is not covered .. probably considered a 'replacement part' when the manual was written. There have been some good threads, links, photos of trafficator repair on the forum recently which can be found with a quick search.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep John, its in there but it is wrong,that is it will have you doing a whole lot of work that is not required.---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Yes, it's kind of funny. They say to remove the radiator but the photo shows someone removing the steering box out the front grill area yet the radiator is still there! Otherwise, seems to be close to the same instructions you give.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep John, That particular one really cracked me up.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I feel much better learning that the work shop manual does mention the trafficator. The steering wheel adjuster just seems to rotate forever. Is it supposed to bet tight at some point? The entire engine bay is stripped so as soon as I remove the steering wheel it should be an easy job. Thanks for your help and have a good day!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi John, If the steering wheel adjuster just spins it is released or it is stripped.In either case if you remove the little circlip at the top end of the splined inner tube,you should be able to pull/Jerk the wheel off.---Keoke

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keoke,
Got everything out OK! Thanks for everyone's help. Dismantling is just about complete. Now the fun starts with replacing all the rusted parts and removing all the bondo on the body.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great! Have fun---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif