• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

first gear sliding hub play

Daniele

Freshman Member
First of all hello to everybody

My name is Daniele I write from Italy and this is my first post in this forum. I'm restoring an Austin Healey 3000 MKI of 1959. Now is the moment of rebuilt the gearbox (side lever type with o/d) and I dismantled it with my mechanic. Unlikely I have to change the laygear and the first gear because they are wear. During the dismantled operation I noticed that the first gear sliding hub has a play of circa 1.5mm on the mainshaft like in this video founded in another post (watch the part of video from second 20 to 30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwb5YsiprSs

Is normal for you this play? For me is very strange, can anybody tell me the length of sliding hub? Mine is 55,3 mm (2,17 inch). Certainly the gearbox was already rebuilt in the past.

Thanks

Wow, what timing! I just came in from the garage (for dinner) and I'm assemblying a sideshift gearbox.

I'll have some pictures up here later on, but yes, there is endfloat on 1st gear assembly.

More later...

Welcome to the Forum Daniele, and thanks for posting. Great video by the way (BTW). It looks to me like the person in the video forgot to install the distance collar from 1st gear hub to the rear bearing. In the manual I show part no. 72 "mainshaft distance collar".

The drive gear without the main shaft installed will have lots of play because the bearing is of the roller type. Once the mainshaft is installed it would be less.

Hope this helps.

Johnny said:
Welcome to the Forum Daniele, and thanks for posting. Great video by the way (BTW). It looks to me like the person in the video forgot to install the distance collar from 1st gear hub to the rear bearing. In the manual I show part no. 72 "mainshaft distance collar".

The drive gear without the main shaft installed will have lots of play because the bearing is of the roller type. Once the mainshaft is installed it would be less.

Hope this helps.
I can see the distance collar in the video. In a bit, I'll go out and measure what the endfloat is on mine.

Daniele said:
First of all hello to everybody

My name is Daniele I write from Italy and this is my first post in this forum. I'm restoring an Austin Healey 3000 MKI of 1959. Now is the moment of rebuilt the gearbox (side lever type with o/d)
Hi Daniele
Probably we are the only two Italians in the forum, WELCOME -(I live near Trieste)
my gearbox is also a side lever+OD (my car are one BN4 late 1957) but it is already on the ground- I am now at the beginning of engine rebuilding
https://picasaweb.google.com/searunner44/RESTORATIONAUSTINHEALEY10061958#
I follow with interest your progress,to follow your steps on gearbox rebuild - have you one site or a photo album of the restoration?
I have a lot of documents that is at your disposition if needed
Have a lot of fun
Andrea

I measured .090" of endfloat on the 1st/2nd gear synchro hub.

There's no specification in any of the manuals I have, so it's difficult to speculate how much is too much.

I took about 10,000 pictures, okay <span style="font-style: italic">slight</span> exaggeration, but it might be a couple days before I get them posted...

Randy Forbes said:

There's no specification in any of the manuals I have, so it's difficult to speculate how much is too much.

I took about 10,000 pictures, okay <span style="font-style: italic">slight</span> exaggeration, but it might be a couple days before I get them posted...
Maybe this will help a little. I no longer have the gear set in the case so I can't measure.

Attachments

• 19845.jpg
    19845.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 193
Johnny, that looks like the not so rare <span style="font-style: italic">light-weight</span> 1st gear :wink:

Here's some shots of my side-shift xmsn going together last night, showing the distance collar between the 1st/2nd gear synchro hub and mainshaft bearing.

The gray finish on all the parts is a polymer dry-film lubricant coating (Techline TLML www.techlinecoatings.com)

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7312.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

IMG_7350.jpg

All the pictures from last night (150) can be seen at: https://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album173

Thanks guys

I can understand from your answer that endfloat of circa 0.09" of sliding hub is normal for this kind of gearbox, that's good now I have only buy the laygear and the first gear. I'll contact AH spares the nex week

Thanks Randy for wonderful pictures

Johnny said:
Randy Forbes said:

Maybe this will help a little. I no longer have the gear set in the case so I can't measure.

Holy Bat-poop.
I do like those gears.