• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Gear Shift Sticks

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have a problem and I don’t think it’s internal to the transmission. I think it relates to the stick shift. When I try to takeoff from a stoplight and put it in first gear, I am totally stuck until I fiddle with the shifter, often lifting it up about an eighth of an inch and then pushing it forward into first. I have other problems with the shifter, too.

For example, sometimes when I’m in neutral the shifter won’t wobble back-and-forth as it should. It is absolutely stuck. Only way I can release it is to lift it or play with it or maybe double clutch. At other times, I have no problem at all with the shifting or the transmission, and I just enjoy a nice drive. Then, suddenly, I can’t takeoff from the stoplight until I play with the shifter again.

I am very willing to remove the dash support saddle and inspect the ship mechanism, spring, and anti-rattle pin, but I’d really like to avoid pulling the center consul entirely.

Do any of you have any thoughts as to what’s going on here and what I need to do? I’m doubtful I have a shift fork issue, but I did replace those “detents” a few years back. Can’t imagine that’s a problem but I don’t know.

thx all.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was surprised about how much the effort to shift was effected by lack of lube and dirt between the gear lever cap and retainer spring (Moss part # 845-185&848-170). This may or may not be the cause of your problem, but is an easy culprit to eliminate.
Berry

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I’m going to try that first chance I get. I’m actually hoping to find something lodged there, because I can’t figure the problem logically. If there were a syncro or shift fork issue I don’t think I’d be able to wiggle or lift my way around the problem or that it would appear so sporadically and randomly. Something is jamming.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It sounds like something on the shift lever is worn...either the ball is loose on the shifter, or the end of the lever is worn where it engages the shift rods. Of course, Berry may be right and it's just old, gummy grease sticking things. All of this can be checked by just pulling the rubber boot and shift lever cap.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Are new shifters available? My recollection is “no” from Moss. It is for a TR4 but not for a TR4A. And I do recall that mine was quite worn in the location where the antirattle pin sits. I will take a look.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Holy Cow, does anything ever get easier? I just pulled my console and removed the shifter to inspect it. To me, it doesn't look worn, and the ball looks normal, but I was shocked to find no spring or anti-rattle plunger. I know for a fact, a given known fact, that I put a spring and plunger in there. I say that because I rebuilt the overdrive and put everything back twice (long story). I recall dropping the plunger and finding it after much effort, and then carefully putting it back in. If somehow, after all my care, I actually dropped it again and didn't notice, I'd be sufficiently alarmed to suspect senility. So, here's a question. Is it in any way possible that the plunger I put in there could slide out two years later while I was shifting, and that's how I got stuck to begin with?

I just can't imagine that happening. I'm now ready to put in a new spring and plunger. To me the plunger (I keep spare new parts) looks awfully short. It's 5mm in length and protrudes the shifter with the spring in place by only about 1.5 mm.

About worn shift rods, mine look perfect. And my spring under the shifter cap looks good. I think that's new, too. I'm wondering about the diameter to the long bolt that does thru the shifter ball. I used a new one from the hardware store. Can't imagine that's an issue.

Well, I'd sure appreciate any thoughts. Thx all

(Geo, are you laughing at the hour of the night I send these posts out? Certain habits seldom change.)

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It might have dropped out as you were installing the shifter, and you didn't notice it.

I'm not sure that would cause your problem. I think it would be a good idea to check everything else you can get to. Make sure that the screws holding the selector rod ends are tight, for example. Beyond that, I can't imagine any other cause.