• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wiring Conundrum

malexalex

Ok, so I've decided that it's time to completely re-do the wiring in my 1970 spitfire mk3, (actually a small electrical fire decided it but oh well)... luckily, brand new harnesses are fairly easy to find so I won't have to frig around with a used one... The only question is, should I attempt to do this myself. I have no experience with this sort of thing and no great deal of electrical knowledge... So what do you think, is this a job for a noob or should I shell out the cash for a pro to do it? Also, if I do attempt it, what tools/equipment will I need? Thanks,

-Alex

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Piece of cake. It is a good way to learn about your wiring. I wouls wait until winter if it is not your daily driver. Notes and photos help. It might end up looking like this:

DASHCLOSEUP60.jpg

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
It might not be the best to cut your electrical teeth on, due to all the ground possibilities. But you don't learn till you try so if you are very careful when it comes time to checking the wiring harness out for false grounds you should be OK. Just read and ask questions before putting power to the system and pick up a book or two on automotive wiring.

Good luck

Also, go here
https://stores.homestead.com/ez2wire/Page.bok?template=wiringfaq

and download the pdf file for the installation of wiring harness. It will give you a good idea of what is involved. You might be using a spitfire specific harness, but all of the electrical principals still apply.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
As Don says, it's not a really difficult job and it will bond you with the electrical system so future electrical work will not be so daunting. Make sure you have a wiring diagram for your year car as a continual reference. Make some copies of it so you have one to highlight as you terminate each wire. Another trick that a friend of mine did was to cut out the old wiring harness, but leave about an inch or two of the old wires attached to wherever they terminate. This will make it easier to hook up the new wires, as you'll have the reference of the old color code on the wire right there. That's of course provided the replacement harness is the same as the old one. Also, hook up one circuit at a time and test it. If it's OK, then go on to the next. This will save you lots of grief when having to figure out what's not right. Take it in small bites, and you should be alright.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
All depends upon how confortable you feel with electrics!!

IF you buy a good quality harness, most of the work is just ensuring that the routing is done well, & that it is hooked up correctly (i.e. be sure you have a matching wiring diagram). Don't forget to protect the harness from any pinch points, and use grommets when going thru anything sharp (like the firewall). If you are altering the harness in anyway, use good quality wire and connections, solder where necessary, and try to use matching wire colors (or label any "extensions" clearly!).

A good multi-tester is handy for testing the harness in advance, & for tracing any "Bad" wires (again, buy a good quality harness!!).

Soldering is better than crimping. (although I've had crimped connections that lasted for years and years....)

Heat shrink is better than elect tape. (lasts longer, doesn't unravel.)

Buy top quality parts, take your time, do it right the 1st time, & you'll not only save a few $$, but you'll be better suited to fix any elect probs that might crop up in the future!

OH! And BE SURE to discover why you had an electrical fire the last time and prevent the same thing from happening again!!! (pinched harness? cracked insulation? bad elect components? other???)

Remember, you'll want it to be done to last a lifetime. Whereas the electrical guy just wants it to last longer than his warranty....

"Cheers!" :cheers:

-Bear-

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Tough call. If you do it yourself, take your time. make lots of notes/take lots of pictures, label as much as you can. Have an accurate wiring diagram on hand, and do not cut corners when securing/routing the new harness.
It's a tedious task, but not overally difficult.
If you have it done by a shop, find someone whos fermiliar with LBCs or better yet get a reference from some fellow LBC owners as to who might be good. A "professional shop" could screw it up just as badly as an inexperienced DIYer if they don't know these cars well, or get in a hurry (more likley) because they are trying to make some money over "Doing it right".
YOur best bet would be to find a seasoned hobbiest that knows LBCs inside and out, that would be willing to do the job for a reasonable fee.
Best of luck either way.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
"Top 10 reasons to procrastinate:
1."

TOO darn FUNNY!! :lol:

(Best Laugh I've Had ALL DAY!!)

"Cheers!" :cheers:

-Bear-

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art, great idea with leaving the last bit of wire color. Tricky.

T

Tinster

Pretend you are a complete car noob living on an
island in the middle of the ocean with no profesional
help available. All you have is the new wire harness
and this forum for expert advice.

If Tinster can install a complete car wire harness,
anyone can. Every electrical component in my car now functions.

Best advice: Buy a 12V motorcycle battery and test
each completed circuit before moving on. Install
lots of new grounding blocks.

Ask many questions!! Post progress photos.

manyWires.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Main thing, IMO, is to be sure you have a wiring diagram that matches your car; and in a form where you can record not only whatever changes you make along the way; but mark each circuit as you install it, and again as you test it. Take it to Kinkos and get it blown up to 11x17 or whatever.

Triumphs in general are very short on fuses, fusible links and circuit breakers; so I would want to add some of each.

It's a time-consuming and somewhat tedious job, but not particularly difficult once you learn a few basic skills. So unless money is no object or you are in a big hurry, I'd suggest doing it yourself. But start by practicing a bit with the soldering gun, and heat shrink/heat gun, before starting work on the car. It's also best, IMO, to make as many joints as you can BEFORE putting the wires into the car, as it's a lot easier to do them standing up at the bench than laying on your neck under the dash.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It's a job for someone who likes details, not diffcult but not a thing you can rush. The TR3s have some wiring diagrams that are literal, i.e. the diagram is laid out just like the wires in the car (albeit usually for RHD). I find this much easier to visualize than a logical diagram (though anything is easier than the 'current-track' method favored by German car manufacturers). Don't know what diagrams are available for Spits.

When I did mine I laid out the harness on the floor and verified everything to assure I had the matching diagram. For the dash I made a full size cardboard mock-up to wire up all the switches and make the short bits & grounds that many harnesses do not include.

I had about a year to look at that thing whilst the car was being painted so by the time I got the body back it only took an afternoon to install the harness and everything worked the first time. Like many things, good prep will save you headaches later on.

Best of luck.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Someone sells colored wiring diagrams on ebay, you might want to look into that. If the colors are correct it really would make things easier best advice I have seen throughout this whole thread is to take your time and don't rush things. Like the old carpenter said "measure twice and cut once" boy am I living proof of not following that advice.

Go slow ask questions many pictures and you'll do fine.

Good Luck, Tinkerman

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I would say this is definitely a DIY job as the labor to have a pro do it would probably exceed the value of the car. Not difficult... just tedious...

Like Tinster, I installed an aftermarket kit from Advance Autowire... and while I spun an intricate web of profanity during the installation, I'm happy with the result.

Unfortunately, I have not heard what will become of the company after Mike's passing. :frown:

T

Tinster

Ian !!

My bet is Dan Masters will carry the company forward,
after a suitable period of mourning.

d

davidk

Jedi Trainee
Check out his site. He has a new partner and is again open for business.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
Tinster said:
Ian !!

My bet is Dan Masters will carry the company forward,
after a suitable period of mourning.

d

Apparently, the correct answer is, "sort of..."

The new owner is a Steve in MI, who will be working with Dan in TN.

After driving both of our Spitfires in the dark, I'm now debating about rewiring my Spit 6 as well... The lights are so freakin' dim... Especially the dash lights... Still debating on whether to go this route or attempt using a hot rod kit.

It looks like I was the "beta-tester" for the Spitfire harness since it is still removed from the site. :wall: I feel bad for the poor guy who we met at Carlisle this year who has one on order... I think the harness can work, but the power block needs to be in two (or more) pieces to allow for better mounting options.

T

Tinster

Ian !

I had no trouble mounting the Power Block wire harness at all.
I liked the compact size and the instructions were straight
forward. I am a total noob when it come to cars.

I am A+++ pleased with the Power Block

dale :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

IanF

Jedi Trainee
Yes... for a TR6... but for a Spitfire the power block is anything but "compact"... :nonod: