• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedhut [or alternative] gauges for a BJ7

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We've replaced the o/d transmission with a Toyota 5 speed and the 3.91 (?) diff with a 3.54 Lempert set and wider 72 spoke rims with 185/70 tyres - which means trying to get the speedometer to communicate accurately with this combination.

A number of folks have mentioned Speedhut gauges, and potentially their GPS speedo. Can anyone suggest the specific version that would work (and look stock) in a 1962 BJ7 with black on white gauges (if memory serves - it's been nearly two years)?

Thanks, Doug

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi Doug,

When I built my Nasty Boy I really tried to keep it stock looking, including all the gauges. With a Ford T5Z transmission and Lempert 3.54 gears, making everything play together was problematical. I looked at the Speedhut gauges, but they couldn't match the stock off-white gauge face and the odometer reading would be digital rather than analog. While on another forum I saw a post about a new GPS driven stand alone device that would hook up to the stock speedo and provide accurate speed readings. I was accepted as a beta tester of the Classic Speed® https://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic and its allowed me to keep my stock speedo. It's an easy installation and the only exterior sign it's there is a small 1.25" square black plastic antenna that I've tucked away in the corner of the dash top. (Full disclosure, I was given a free unit as a beta tester).

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i am also putting speedhut gauges in my bn6 two seater with sbc and aod transmission. i chose white on black faces with blue led backlight. the high beam and turn signal indicators are in the tachometer. i use the healey turn signal light for the alternator charge indicator. using a dual gauge gps speedometer allows me necessary instumentation without hanging gauges below the dash or cutting additional holes. also the fuel gauge is adjustable for the healey tank unit and has a low fuel light as well. speedhut has lots of combinations of fonts, colors, sizes and styles and they have a lifetime warranty..

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 97

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I also went to Speedhut, ordered the GPS unit black dial with white numbers and white backlight to match the XJ6 Tach I installed as well to deal with pertronix and later engine/distributor. Easy to install and works well.

volts101

Freshman Member
Country flag
We've replaced the o/d transmission with a Toyota 5 speed and the 3.91 (?) diff with a 3.54 Lempert set and wider 72 spoke rims with 185/70 tyres - which means trying to get the speedometer to communicate accurately with this combination.

A number of folks have mentioned Speedhut gauges, and potentially their GPS speedo. Can anyone suggest the specific version that would work (and look stock) in a 1962 BJ7 with black on white gauges (if memory serves - it's been nearly two years)?

Thanks, Doug

I have recently had the tacho on my BJ8 converted to a stepper motor drive (as used on modern instruments). No more adjustments and always spot on.
Also speedo converted to digital stepper motor drive; this was rebuilt with exact same face format as original but small LCD at bottom above high beam indicator. The old trip recorder out.
For pusle transducer you simply cut existing cable and install. Thus you can program to accommodate any tire/rear end ratio. No GPS problems with tunnels and landscape issues. Plan to use the MPH but scaled in K's for driving in Canada.
Done by Speedy Cables in Wales.
rg