• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

alternative power

gfaubus

Freshman Member
Will a guy get kicked out of the forum for asking questions about engine swaps? I've considered a fresher four from perhaps a Chevy Colorado, they turn almost 200 HP and come with a 5 speed. I use my 69 for a daily driver and make frequent 100 plus mile trips to the airport. Am looking for reliabilty and power without major frame/body modifications. Is this a good alternative? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Only ever heard of one person hetting kicked. Sure wasn't for talking about little cars.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you make the change, keep us posted. Sounds like a wild four banger for a "B". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif PJ

Steve_S

Yoda
Many people have done engine swaps, mostly for V6 and V8. If you want more power, what about a supercharger? You can have it bolted on in an afternoon and be driving the next day.

As for reliability, the B-Series engine is quite reliable when built properly and kept in good order. I drive my '67 daily and for many years it was my '65. I've never had to miss work because of a breakdown. These engines are tough little units and when they have problems it's usually an electrical issue. Changing engines won't fix this type of problem but could make them far more difficult to repair!

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Yep. Now, if 200 horses is what you're after - it'd sure make for a fun ride! Like Steve said, most of the swaps we see are for V6's or small V8's. The little 4-banger you're talking about should be simple compared to those.

R.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I hate to put a damper on an idea, but getting a modern OBDII engine to run in an old car would be an extremely difficult task. Either you would have to fabricate an induction system, and likely an ignition system, or you would have to adapt the harness and ECUs from the donor car. It is really involved. O2 sensors etc. As cool as it would be, there are easier, less expensive, and way less time consuming ways to make a B faster.

Jesse

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Yup, A blower! Less work and probably cost about the same.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I like the 4 cyl. in the Colorado, but it's a huge engine. I don't just mean the discplacement (2.8L '06 and before- 2.9L after)- only modern 4cyl. I can remember larger is the old Porsche 944...but physically, it's a monster and particularly tall given its overhead cams.

The car hobby is for all and modifying cars is great. Personally, if I were to consider an engine swap for a B, I would take a good hard look at the GM 60 degree V6- they can be picked up inexpensively and there are kits out there for the conversion. Built right, they will get you over 200hp- even stock, they'll do 160hp easy, and I do not believe they weigh more than the original 1.8L 4 cyl.

Good luck!

[edit]

As for using an OBDII engine in an old car, it's done all the time. The key is to use the original engine basically as a whole with the original computer. There are adapters for sensors made, or a custom harness can be built. You would have to add an O2 bung to the exhaust and probably some sort of vehicle speed sensor- or, as I said, there are adapters to fool the computer into believing some of these things are there when they are not. After all- these are non-emission controlled cars (in most places...if they're old enough).

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
I like the 2.0L ZETEC or 2.3L Duratek engine myself. It's a great little engine, light and LOTS of performance goodies are made for it including Weber conversions. 130/170HP stock in SVT form with >250HP available in near racing forms. Buy a used SVT engine for $400.00 from a junkyard and go from there...

swift6

Yoda
I wondered about the size of that Colorado four cylinder myself. There are several other choices that are smaller and could do the job better.

If we keep our Ford Cortina I'm seriously thinking of transplanting a Zetec with a five speed into it. 170hp in a 2,000lb coupe should be fun!

I also think a MGB with a Zetec could really be fun as well if your looking into a modern transplant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

I've seen (and one of my favorite 4-cyl's I might add) a Nissan SR20DET swap in a B once. They come with a 5 speed and are capable of over 200bhp with mild tuning (mostly a turbo upgrade). Their sold by the import tuner crowd... about $1500 last I checked for an engine, transmission, ECU, and wiring harness. They come from a Japanese Nissan Silvia... 2 Litres of hardcore street action engine. For about $1-2k more, you can get a Honda S2000 engine/transmission/ecu. 240bhp stock, and a 6 speed. You're on you own about how to impliment it, but I'd say you'de get high marks from us. We'd watch the show anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
G

gfaubus

Freshman Member
A V-6 was my original idea, till a friend of mine suggested the Colorado. I got a chance to look a Colorado over pretty good yesterday and I agree, it's much too large (especially tall). I'll keep looking at alternatives, I'm in no real hurry, right now I just need to get the carbs adjusted properly on the stock engine. I've noticed it doesn't sputter as much if I floor the accelerator during gear changes, maybe that's just how you are supposed to drive them.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No no no, responce should be smooth as silk.

OP
G

gfaubus

Freshman Member
Yea, I thought so. This weekend we're getting new points, plugs, rotor etc. Also plan to check timing and valve clearance, after that we'll look at the carbs if necessary.