• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome alternative

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
Just discovered this website today - https://coatofchrome.com/home.php. Looks intriguing. You have to send him a part for him to quote the job. The good part of this process is that it can be done on any material, which means that he can fill pits with plastic filler and sand smooth, then coat it. I'm going to send him a small part to see how it works out. I'll report back in a few weeks when I get the part back. Check out some of his stuff.

Attachments

• 27784.jpg
    27784.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 27785.jpg
    27785.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 398
  • 27786.jpg
    27786.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 396
  • 27787.jpg
    27787.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 397
G

He must be pretty good if they're letting him plate the Ark. :laugh:

Country flag
How do auto manufacturers chrome plate plastic? There seems to be plenty of modern chrome plastic on cars that is pretty durable.

OP
rkep01

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
Trevor Jessie said:
How do auto manufacturers chrome plate plastic? There seems to be plenty of modern chrome plastic on cars that is pretty durable.

It's done by a process known as vacuum metalizing. Vacuum metallizing is a process where a metallic coating material is placed in a vacuum chamber with the workpiece to be coated. The material that is being applied is then heated until it starts to evaporate; this vaporized metal condenses on the product or workpiece as a thin metallic film. As this is happening, the part is being rotated for uniformity of the coat. Thin layers of paint can then be applied to produce other colors. Once complete, a clear sealer is usually added to prevent flaking.(a/p Wikipedia) This process, according to the website, is more like the silvering of a mirror and is done by spraying the metal onto the object. The photos look very impressive.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Gosh, Mike - did you send them your whole car?
Doug

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have something similar called mirra chrome from Alsa paints. Theirs supposedly has the most reflectivity. I bought some but have not used it yet. $80 for 4 ounces and that is already thinned. I have a set of wire wheels and was thinking about doing those.

OP
rkep01

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
rkep01 said:
I'm going to send him a small part to see how it works out. I'll report back in a few weeks when I get the part back.

I'm going to send him the parking brake handle. That should be a good test.

Attachments

• 27795.jpg
    27795.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 240
G

Caswell plating has a paint w/ silver in it used to plate plastic. Spray w/ the paint then plate.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Remember, that paint is not going to stand up like real chrome as far as something like that handle where it can get scratched. That is some serious corrosion. There have got to be people on this board that have extras to send you one of those. They are not bad to break down and get like that. I might have already thrown one out.

G

kellysguy said:
He must be pretty good if they're letting him plate the Ark. :laugh:

regularman said:
Remember, that paint is not going to stand up like real chrome as far as something like that handle where it can get scratched.

You must not have seen the first Indiana Jones movie. That thing is off the hook! :jester:

G

Rep, that is a lot to smooth and fill. I can see it for a test for more expensive stuff. That brake handle will probably cost two or three times what it's worth when done.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
IIRC, there's a German company called Chrome Solutions that deals in this stuff. Jay Leno's Garage did a video on the process. (here's the link.) Looks pretty easy to do at home. Don't know how expensive the chemicals are, but it'd be neat to be able to chrome anything at whim.

OP
rkep01

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
regularman said:
Remember, that paint is not going to stand up like real chrome as far as something like that handle where it can get scratched. That is some serious corrosion. There have got to be people on this board that have extras to send you one of those. They are not bad to break down and get like that. I might have already thrown one out.

As I said in the original post, this is an experiment to see how good this process is and what the price is compared to re-chroming. What better part to send than one like this that has many faults and will be subject to some wear and tear? I know I can get another one, but that isn't the point. The corrosion is just from where the original plating has worn off. I have already cleaned that up. The pitting that has been left, will be filled with ordinary body filler and sanded by the person doing the process as opposed to cleaning, braze filling and grinding smooth each pit by the chrome plater. That's where the real cost in plating comes about. That and the cost of having to legally dispose of the chemicals. Granted that it may not be suitable for all applications, but if we can find an alternative to chrome plating that will hold up decently and be less expensive, it will be a good thing.

Attachments

• 27796.jpg
    27796.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 27797.jpg
    27797.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 27798.jpg
    27798.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 72

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
bthompson said:
IIRC, there's a German company called Chrome Solutions that deals in this stuff. Jay Leno's Garage did a video on the process. (here's the link.) Looks pretty easy to do at home. Don't know how expensive the chemicals are, but it'd be neat to be able to chrome anything at whim.

I'd be really interested in getting some more info on this process...if it really is that 'simple' I would at least give it a shot in my garage...

OP
rkep01

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
kellysguy said:
An easier RB to CB conversion! :laugh: :pukeface:

Wha? :confuse:

G

Rubber bumper to chrome bumper. Could you imagine what Midget rubber bumpers would look like with that stuff sprayed on them?