• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need History For This Car - Please Help

SeldomSeen

Country flag
I purchased this 1966 MGB from a person in Littleton, Colorado four weeks ago. It was lucky finding one so close to home in this extensively restored condition. It has a new top, new black tonneau, new chrome, new black interior panels and new black carpeting. The new seat upholstery is black with white trim. Someone installed a Kenwood stereo with a power amp (in the boot) and some large bass speakers in boxes on the rear deck. I removed the last two items as they were rather ugly and not original. The suspension was completely rebuilt. The painted wire wheels look new and the Avon 165SR14 tires are barely scrubbed in. The one in the trunk still has part of the sticker label on it.

So much for what I know. The engine compartment was not repainted. The shop I took it to said that the engine was out at least once and that a previous owner had spared no expense on what was easily viewable. The car runs beautifully. The trans feels like new. There are absolutely no oil leaks. The speedo was replaced and reads 27K miles. I'm assuming that was when the resto took place. The guy I bought it from (who put about 1500 miles on it since 8/2004) said he had no information as to what was done to the engine and drive train. I spoke with the owner before him and he said he gave the history to the guy I bought it from (his neighbor at the time). He had not done the resto and was going to get back to me about it but never returned my call. He did say that he drove it to the Glenwood, Colorado Ralleye (most likely in 2004).

I plan to continue the excellent work that was done on this car and bring it to near show quality eventually. It would sure make things easier if I could find out what was done to the mechnical part of the car. I even called all of the British Car Repair Shops in the area. They were all happy to talk about it but had no recollection of the car. Is there anyone who knows this car or has any ideas as to how I may continue this frustrating search?

Happy New Year to all!
mgb2.jpg

mgb3.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wish I could help but that's not likely.

Nice looking example though. Can you not call the "seller's seller" again?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
mine doesn't leak anymore /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I keep an eye glued to the oil pressure and the other on the dip stick now that I've fixed the leak.

Don't ask me how I drive with no eyes left for the road though... heheh

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh.. almost forgot, that's a great looking car too!

One thing to be aware of is the age of the tires. They can look new, have less than 1500 miles on them and still be dangerous if they're older than 5 or 6 years. Someone on these boards recently (within the past 3 months) posted pics (in the Pub area) of a mint condition car that was driven on 10+ year old tires (or were they older?). The tires blew out and totaled a beautiful car.

That's just a bit of info to keep in mind when you think about driving.

As far you car itself, like I said, it's a beauty, but I can't offer ya any help on its history. Sorry.

OP
SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Country flag
I managed to speak with the second PO again. The owner before that was the restorer. He regretfully sold the car because money was an issue. They are trying to locate him and will get me a phone number if possible. I hope he has a lot of time because all I want to know is everything about the car. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Beautiful looking B. Good luck on contacting the PPO. It's likley that that will be the only way to ever find out what's been done. Unless that person is a member here, your on the strongest track yourself.
Hope to hear more from you. Sounds like your "well bitten" by the LBC bug... When ya gettin the second one? hehehe.
Is "seldomseen" a refrence to the bluegrass band Seldom Scene ? if so, cool! if not, It's still a really neat username.

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just recently got a 1964 MGB. While I can't speak to the owner previous to the previous owner, I got a huge thick file full of receipts going from just a few months ago back to 1975. It is a gold mine of information and history.

OP
SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Country flag
The PPO left a message on the PPPOs phone yesterday so he was found alive and still local! I'm just waiting for the number and the go ahead via email. It was impossible to get a full night of sleep last night. I just don't understand why anyone would not care this much.

"Seldom Seen Slim" was a character in the late Edward Abbeys' novels of the South Western U.S.. I am not familiar with the group "Seldom Scene" but as far as bluegrass goes, I just discovered "Union Station" & Alison Krause and can't get enough of it.

Shinsen774: The receipts were probably transfered and lost since the restoration (several forms of cruel and inhuman punishment come to mind). It won't matter that I merely get verbal confirmation of the work done since I'm not going to sell the car in my lifetime anyway.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Neat refrence in the username.
Sounds like your search is going well.
If you need some music to keep you from going crazy while waiting for more info, any you're liking AKUS (Alison Krause & Union Station) Then pick up the "O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack. AKUS does a couple of songs on that.
Other favorites of mine are
Del McCoury band
Nickel Creek
Old Crow Medicine Show (Very good)
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
IIIrd Tyme Out
The Earl Brothers
JD Crowe and the New South
Rickey Scaggs
Steve Earle

OP
SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Country flag
Banjo: Thanks. I'll listen to some of the audio samples on Amazon and make some purchases.

All: The PO sent me a package of receipts he forgot he had today. The restoration was completed in May of 1999. Only 4700 miles have been put on the car since. Between April, 1998 and May,1999 the transmission was rebuilt and a new clutch and water pump installed. Some work was done on the SUs and suspension as well. There was no mention regarding the engine though. I even got some photos taken during and immediately after the painting process. This was very welcome info. The name of the restorer was on the invoices and I have a call into him but no answer yet. So close!