• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Ignition key switch help !

bluemg

The tumblers (I assume)on the ignition switch of my 79 MGB are to the point that some times they will not allow the key to enter the lock. Just the tip of the key will enter. It requires a lot of wiggling and pushing to get it to finally accept the key, then it works fine.
Seems like a black hole when it comes to information on this subject, and I have never gotten into a steering column without damaging something else in the process.
Anyone have any experience with this type of problem, or replacing the tumblers or key switch

Switch is a sub-assembly held in place with a small sheet-metal screw, IIRC. The locking mechanism is attached via two "break-away" headed bolts. To remove those, there are two methods I know of: A left-twist bit works most times, coupled with an easy-out if the things don't volunteer to un-do with just the bit. Alternately, some folks cut a slot in what's left of the "stump" with a disc on a Dremel tool or nibble at 'em with a small cold chisel to make the slot.

HTH.

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: Where in the Sunshine State are ya?</span>

thank you, this is a must do repair, Momma wasn't very happy when it took 10 minutes to get the key in, after we took the B to dinner the other night. It was getting pretty close to AAA.
Ed. I'm in Brooksville, north of Tampa about 50 miles........

mehheh. We'll have to get together sometime.

As a temporary fix, you could try squirting graphite into the key slot. I think one brand is called "lock ease."

It is a easy fix if you buy the part from Moss. Gives you all the instructions for replacing the unit. Just relax when you do it and all will go well. As with any time you are makeing a repair and you get stuck or confused, stop, walk away, go get a ice cream cone, and when you are finished with the ice cream and go back to your project, all will make sense and it will smoothly go together. Works every time.

I find a CAB and a nap work equally well. :jester:

Thanks for all the replays, actual it appears 100dashsix temp fix has been holding up pretty well. I heavily sprayed the lock and tumblers with Carb cleaner, and then blew the lock out, repeating this several times to get the crap out of there. When it was dry I applied the graphite powder, and so far it is working very smooth.
There appears to be some type of ball that guards the key-way, I believe that is what was holding the key from entering the tumblers. A small flat screwdriver was used to hold it open for cleaning.