• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hmmm...can't get key out of ignition...

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, it's been a lovely day here in Nashville except I can't remove the frickin' frackin' key from the igniton. This happened last night and my neighbor was able to retreive the key with a lot of persuasion and some graphite. Today, I used the duplicate, tested its removal ability about 15 times and things were fine until I went for a drive, got home and it's stuck in the accessory position...won't go forward, won't go backward, won't come out. I know I need to replace the whole cylinder but don't quite know what I need to buy. Isn't this the key cylinder? I looked at Moss's site and they had many things but I'm quite sure what to order. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. In the meantime, any suggestions as how to coax out the key would be helpful, too! I've got a trickle charger and it looks like I won't be driving anywhere soon but it would be nice to get the key out.
TN

You just may have the steering wheel locked or the locking mechanism itself is bad. Try moving the steering wheel a bit and see if that does not let you have your key back. Good luck and let us know how you finally got your key back.

Naw, wish it was as simple as the steering wheel issue. Still no luck yet...sigh! I guess the tumblers have just croaked.
TN

OUCH!!! Was afraid of that. Sorry, outside of brute force, I have no other suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Did go out and pour some graphite in mine though. Guess I will have to wear dark pants for awile when in the MGB.

I had the same problem a few years ago,sprayed wd-40 in it and waited a few minutes pulld hard and came out. good luck

Okay, friends, still no luck with ol' key stuck in the ignition. This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!
TN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

I know this sounds stupid but did you put the correct key in? I managed to get a Ford key in mine and was lucky enough to get it back out with just a little trouble. Glad I didn't force it or I'd be buying a new lock, too!

Guinn

I think Craig has the right idea. Unplug it, remove it from under the steering wheel, and take it to the local locksmith. Did I forget to mention - disconnect the battery first? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

I may end up having to call the handy dandy locksmith. Oh, how I wish I did have the wrong key in but alas, 'tis not so!
TN

HOORAY!!!!! The key came out and I now know the trick to consistently getting it out. I have to push in and up then forward until the ignition light comes on. Only then can I turn it back to "off" so that the key comes out.

I will have to go to a locksmith I guess. At least I can save on the service call!

Wish me luck!!!!

TN