• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Milage

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
Did a pretty accurate gas milage check yesterday. 60 miles,
30 on the interstate at 70MPH in OD and 30 country road in OD.
Filled up and it came to 28 MPG. I think if I did all interstate with no stops I might even do 30. 1965 BJ8.
Is this about average for the car? It runs strong.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That sounds like very good mileage for a Healey. I did a 650 mile trip in my 64 BJ8 and averaged 21.5 mpg and was pleased. It was mostly two lane roads doing about 65 mph with about 15% town driving. I understand from several club members the Healeys just don't do that well on mileage. Have a good day!

John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I understand from several club members the Healeys just don't do that well on mileage. Have a good day!

:iagree:
Maybe we send it in to Guinness. :laugh:

_________________________________Keoke-- :driving:

Country flag
(laughs to self)...

IMG_6657.jpg

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yep

23 on a run 13 round town, - unless - you are equiped with fuel injection.

Having said that, my old girl once gave magnificent mileage return, but top end speed was down, could not get much above 60MPH. Then I discovered the blocked fuel pipe in one of the carbs. lol

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Have you checked your odometer? 28 mpg under any conditions in a Healey is hard to believe unless you were going down hill all the way with a strong tail wind. Also, 60 miles on about 2 gallons, entails a high margin for error on the refill. This is too small a sample to be meaningful. Try again on a longer trip and verify miles traveled with a trip computer.

RAC68

Darth Vader
17 MPG is what I have registered with my BJ8P1 for as long as I can remember. However, there was one time in the winter of 1969 on a drive from Philadelphia to NE PA, NYC, and back to Philadelphia that I registered in the very high 40s. Although the drive was primarily highway and sometimes I did have to ride the clutch to get moving, I could easily pass 70MPH in overdrive with something left.

Similar to Bob’s experience, it turned out to be a loose pin in the rear carburetor that, through vibration, would drop and cut off fuel to the last 3 cylinders. When stopped, the piston would sometimes fall and temporarily secure the pin for proper operation until it vibrated loose again. The engine showed no additional vibration when idling and, since it was one continuous trip, the engine was off for only brief periods.

When the Healey was my only means of transportation, I often thought of installing a way to cut the rear carburetor on purpose…like when cruising.

Ray (64fBJ8P1)

Country flag
RAC68 said:
Similar to Bob’s experience, it turned out to be a loose pin in the rear carburetor that, through vibration, would drop and cut off fuel to the last 3 cylinders. When stopped, the piston would sometimes fall and temporarily secure the pin for proper operation until it vibrated loose again. The engine showed no additional vibration when idling and, since it was one continuous trip, the engine was off for only brief periods.

Ah, the famous British cylinder deactivation technology.

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
My Hundred usually gets about 25 mpg on the highway. When I travel with 6 cylinder Healeys, they usually need significantly more gas, around 20 mpg or so.

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tho my Healey usually looses more fuel to evaporation most of the time, when it does get driven a tankful, 17 mpg was a consistant repeat.

Country flag
Johnny said:
Hi Ray, what "pin" are you talking about? What kind of carbs are you using?
Unless I'm mistaken, I think he's referring to the tapered needle, regulating the flow of fuel through the jet.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Just arrived home. Sorry for the delayed response. Randy was correct Johnny. I did mean Needle, however, I have herd the terms used interchangeably.

Ray (64BJ8P1)