• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wiring sub-harness routing

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
As I'm finally installing some shiny stuff after two years at the 66 BJ8, I'm puzzled at the routing of the dimmer switch and overdrive sub-harnesses. I think the dimmer harness travels to the passenger side parallel to that branch of the main, through the main harness clip, then through the firewall through a grommet right below the grommet that seals the fresh air cable. Is that right? But I'm befuddled about the overdrive harness. Does it follow the harness that exits the firewall down to the left frame rail, to serve the rear of the car? Through the same grommet? Interestingly, as I was cleaning up the main harness clip, I was amazed to find that it may be brass. When I started to polish it up, thinking that what was left of the zinc plating might shine up, golden brass appeared. At first, I thought that it was a zinc chromate finish on a regular steel clip, but it's not magnetic. Ever heard of a brass harness clip?

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Cutlass,

The dimmer harness connects where the main harness comes through the firewall and proceeds towards the driver side (LHD)through the main harness clip. It then continues over the pedal box structure and drops straight down through a grommeted hole between the fresh air duct and the pedal box. It may be easier to route this harness in reverse .. from the drivers compartment, look or feel to the left of the clutch pedal on the horizontal surface for a hole to feed it up into the engine bay.

The hole just below the fresh air cable hole is for the wiper harness (at least on my BJ7). The wires for the wiper come off the main harness there and go inside the firewall (grommet with small hole) to be hooked up to the wiper motor harness with a three wire connector.

I have yet to hook up my overdrive harness but I think you are right. It can go through the same grommet and top clip for the harness that goes to the back of the car.

I found a few P clips that are brass. One of them is the OD harness to gearbox clip which is a special size.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Cutlas, and that special size Brass one fits the Dimmer Switch harnes and locates to the top of the driver side foot well.---Keoke

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, guys. There will be a day, I hope, when I can put some back into this well of knowledge. In the meantime, I do appreciate the help.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For you concours guys, clean up and reuse those original P-clips. For the rest of us, there are P-clips with rubber insulation that will not chafe the wiring harness that could lead to at best a short and at worst, a fire. I still have my original BJ8 harness, but when I detailed the engine bay, I noticed lots of wear on the harness where it passed through the P-clips. That's when I changed to the insulated ones.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
I still have my original BJ8 harness ... noticed lots of wear ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those in glass houses should not throw stones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still have my original BJ8 harness ... noticed lots of wear ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those in glass houses should not throw stones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HOW else you gonna get out!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

I found a few P clips that are brass. One of them is the OD harness to gearbox clip which is a special size.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found two brass clips above the rear axle used to mount the brake lines.
See photo attached;

Attachments

• 235072-rearbrakepipe.JPG
    235072-rearbrakepipe.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 90