• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Valve Stem Oil Seals

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
Im just putting the head back together and i noticed on one of the suppliers sites that there is a kit for valve stem oil seals. Is this needed? Is it just a slip it over the valve installation or do I have to have some machining done? Will it decrease my oil comsumption? Will I pick up more chicks with it................well ok, forget about the last one, but the other questions are valid..........

tomshobby

Yoda
You will pick up more chicks but they will all be ugly! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If there are a lot of miles on the valves and guides or if they leaked before and you did not replace them the seals are probably a good idea. Otherwise there are mixed thoughts for and against.

Check to make sure they will fit if you have dual valve springs.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO not a good idea unless you've made other modifications (external oil feed). The reduction in oil consumption is minimal, and it prevents the valve stems from being lubricated. The factory actually struck a pretty good compromise between the two opposing goals, so IMO it's best not to change it unless you have a specific problem to solve.

IOW, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif ... and I'd also add that the only time you might really need the seals is when you add the external oil feed line, which really only puts too much oil where it's not really needed (unless you've not taken the time to make sure the oil that's needed gets there the way Standard-Triumph intended originally). In other words, TWO band-aids on a nearly nonexistent wound! As often as not, it costs less -- either up front or not far down the road -- to properly maintain or restore the original design and function.

As always, YMMV....

OP
heliguy

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
Think i will just stick to what i have ( no seals ) The guides are almost new and still nice and tight so oil consumption should not be a problem.
Thanks for the info gents.

cheers,

Mitch

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
i got my gt6 engine back from the shop and it looks to me like they installed valve seals for no cost and without really saying anything. then again, they were really confused everytime i went in and explained to them that i had no cam bearings. i have old valves and new guides. should i be worried? i couldn't really tell you what the slop is like...

dangit. not another problem.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you check the factory parts manuals, you will find no available vavle seals for GT6. I went thru this a few years back when I rebuilt a couple of engines. When BL was still in business the dealers top TR6 and GT6 Tech said they do not need them. When I pulled my own 72 GT6 apart someone had put umbrella seals in. After I measured everything it seems there was enough wear that it would have had blowby and someone did a quick fix. At 150,000 miles I redid the guides and stems and never had any signs of blowby afterwards. Even the 4.2 Jag engine has seals only on the exhaust side.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IIRC the valve seals you would use on a Spitfire are made for the English Pinto engine (same as our Pinto?). The machine shop has to make them fit and you cannot use the inner valve spring. Unless you drive a lot of miles, I would leave them off, especially if I had new guides.