• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel injection system for Healeys now available!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
With the stage one kit priced at over 4,200 GBP, I would certainly hope that it made "some" improvement. 10% torque increase is certainly beneficial.

However, I'm sure that your two inch carbs made a similar power increase at considerably less cost.
D

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
wow, that was awesome, altough my employees didn't appreciate me watching an internet video at work!

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Dave

Almost makes the cost of an Aluminum head look reasonable. Would their be any benefit of changing heads with this system?

DT

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Re: Fuel injection system for Healeys now availabl

Money_Pit said:
Dave,
Almost makes the cost of an Aluminum head look reasonable. Would their be any benefit of changing heads with this system?
DT
On the Sixes there would certainly be some benefit of optimum porting, valve sizes, guide materials, etc. Also better cooling if you wanted to raise the compression ratio a lot. I doubt if there would be THAT much benefit though on a more conservative engine. Possibly yes, if you are going for major engine power increases with the accompanying modifications.

The "bling" factor is hard to set a price on.

The reason that I used an aluminum head on the Four is that the original heads are very prone to cracking, have poor port layouts/flow, & a thin bottom deck. The aluminum head is the only practical way to overcome these major problems. Since I'm going for major rpm & power increases, the aluminum head is a necessity.
D

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful

Dave

I'll bet your hoping they'll just make a Fuel injected system for the Four? Somehow I think you wouldn't need it anyway as I'm sure you've got that engine of yours worked pretty good now!

DT

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Fuel injection doesn't work very well on my cylinder head design, or any other four that has siamesed intake ports. Two cylinders sharing one port as many BMC engines do.

If the injector squirt is timed correctly for one of the pair of cylinders it is way off for the other shared cylinder. Two oddly timed squirts for the two cylinders on the same port doesn't help much. The mixture still gets all screwed up with one cylinder getting too much fuel & the other, not enough. A few folks have tried, but not much success.

Carbs give a premixed charge that doesn't have so many problems, although they still have some cylinder to cylinder charge differences.
D

Country flag

Years ago, mid 80s maybe, Haltech introduced a stand alone fuel injection system with throttle bodies based on the Weber 45 DCOE footprint. PC-laptop programable software, high pressure pump & fuel rail.

All I'd have to do is unbolt the Webers...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Volvo did it on the B20 Four clyinder engine and it works a treat Dave.---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Hi Keoke,

You overlooked my entire point. The B20 has four separate intake ports & would work fine with fuel injection, as will any of the engines with individual intake ports per cylinder.

Several of the BMC engines had siamesed intake ports - one port for two cylinders - & port type fuel injection does not work very well at all.

Throttle body injection will work because the fuel/air is already mixed before it gets to the siamesed intake ports. Of course I don't consider TBI to be much better than carbs & certainly harder to get the same power out of.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yes I understand that but Volvo put the injectors directly into the cylinder not in a manifold. The 164,6 cylinder, however, did use the throttle body set up.-Keoke

OK I see what you are saying now yeh we have separate intake ports in the head-Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Over $9000 US to my door? 13%/11% horsepower/torque increase? No thank you. I’ll stick with my triple Mikunis. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oooooh me too Greg! I was wondering about the Bling value of FI until I calculated the price in US$. Man I could think of all kinda things to do with that ~ 10K so I just Bling forgot it!!.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Moss has been selling some kind of supercharger / blower kit for some of the other LBCs. If one of these became available for big Healeys, how would the performance improve as compared to the $10,000 FI kit ? The price of the FI kit would certainly move it off of most people's radar in my opinion.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Hi Ed,
A blower would be kind of hard to just add to the already fairly high compression Sixes. I would guess that it could be done though.

Supercharged engines still require very accurate fuel management to get good power & not self destruct. Overall, not a project for the unwary.

I'm guessing that boost would need to be limited to less than 6 - 8 psi. Without intercooling, the power gain would probably be in the neighborhood of 20 - 30%.

With a lower compression ratio, charge cooling, & very good fuel management such as fuel injection, higher power gains would be available. Then you run up against mechanical strength limitations. In the end the cost would be quite high.
D

Country flag

It seems to me that the cost and customized effort needed to put a supercharger or fuel injection onto a Healey are overkill given the basic design of the engine. I think if I wanted that much more performance the small V-8 nasty boy route would be the one to take, or even a more modern 6....

But I'm going to keep the Healey engine, and massage it a little (or a lot) when that time comes....

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Been there, did the V8 thing a loooong time ago.

Dealing with engine compartment & passenger compartment heat is a MAJOR issue with a V8. As is finding places for the exhaust system.
D