• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Injection on a Healey?

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
Anybody heard of fuel injection on a Healey? A little birdie told me there is a kit being developed in conjunction with Weber for a 4-cylinder Healey using 1¾"SU carbs like those on a 100M and the 6-cylinder with 2" SU's. The throttle bodies bolt directly on the existing Healey manifolds. It uses six sensors for engine condition - oxygen, coolant temp, air temp, throttle position, vacuum and distributor signal - that can be set up on a laptop computer. I suppose items to be taken into consideration would be cost of this kit vs. new carbs vs. rebuilt old carbs, and the old "keep things original vs. updating and improving" debate. I'm told the cost will probably be very little over the price of new SU's. Sounds great for someone else's car, but a little too high tech for me. Even with all the advantages, I can't bring myself to have a Pertronix installed on my car!

Sharon
BN1 with the same carbs and ignition she's had for 51 years

Attachments

• 108812-AH-Carbs.jpg
    108812-AH-Carbs.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 161

john_j

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody heard of fuel injection on a Healey?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this isn't what you mean, but the LeMans Sprites in 1965?66?67? were injected. 157mph down the Mulsanne straight - sounds ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING to me!!!!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Sharon,
Thanks very much for the info. A little high tech would be an interesting & welcome diversion. Especially if it could be converted back to original if needed. Throttle body injection could provide a little better fueling & easy adjustability. I'm especially interested in how the uneven intake pulsing caused by the firing order & siamesed intake ports is handled. (Cylinders three & four are fed in sequence from the same port). It would seem that two injectors per port with separate control would be needed. Surely you could give more detail or contact info, either on this forum or privately.

My desire to keep the car concours has already failed with the revisions & upgrades that I consider "necessary" to make a better, reliable "driver". I would consider this as a necessary improvement as long as it could be easily converted back to stock along with the dozen or so "improvements" that have already been made. However, it's becoming increasingly difficult to go back to completely stock as it is. The collection of stock parts on the shelf needed to go back to concours is becoming quite large & space consuming.

Please let anthing more "out of the bag" if you can. You are really tempting this barely reformed hot rodder whose earlier Healey had a large V8 engine conversion. This project really destroyed the Healeyness of the previous car. I'm trying to avoid the same mistake again, but I'm an incorrigable tinkerer.

Thanks much,
D

Country flag
Dave,

About a dozen years ago, Haltech introduced the first (to my knowledge) stand alone engine management system (computer controlled fuel injection and distributorless ignition). Since Haltech's system was first only available using Weber DCOE style throttle bodies, I fantasized puting it on BN6L-942 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Since then, the application has gotten easier and more widely available.

Here is a link to DIS' (Direct Ignition System) https://www.electromotive-inc.com/

Grassroots Motorsports used their Tec3 system on their Rotary powered Spitfire, so that would be one source of DIY information.

Do a Google search on Haltech and/or Direct Ignition System and you'll find plenty to read about.

Radford

Jedi Knight
You know if you make those rails out of copper or brass (or heck, just plated) and ditched the red and blue connecters in favor of steel it'd look almost like a period modification.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sharon, If I install the Pertronix You will be hard put to know it was there.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
H

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
Hi Dave,
First the easy part - the engineering mind behind this project has made many modifications that can be put back to original if desired. He's added cruise control (black cable in the picture), backup lights, a third brake light and more, all with the motto, "no new holes." As for the intake pulsing question, that's beyond the scope of my being able to understand, remember and repeat the answer - I'll give you his email address. He, his wife and the car will be passing through Boise on the way to Yellowstone in mid-July after Klamath Falls, hopefully with FI in place and functioning; I'll be behind them, trying to keep up!

Sharon
BN1

kch

Found this picture on the Swedish Austin Healey clubs site.

I think that injection would work perfect on a Healey.

Attachments

• 109060-datasprut.jpg
    109060-datasprut.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 151