• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Electronic Fuel Injection System

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
I've got a friend with a '75 MGB and he's asked if I have or can get any info from anyone using Moss' MGB Electronic Fuel Injection System.

Anyone out there using it?
TIA

Bret

Yoda
I've got one still sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Soon hopefully waiting on my rebuilt engine & OD tranny. But there is a member of our local club that just recently had one installed in his RB by a MG Mechanic here in town. Told the membership that its a pretty sweat setup.

I noticed that the latest issue of British Motoring (just came in the mail) has a write-up on the installation.

Can’t wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've only sold 1 & I'll bet we all know to whom!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I certianly would like to hear some first hand non-manufacturer accounts about Moss's fuel injection kit on performance and fuel economy.

In the meantime I'm going to be secretly plotting my HS-6 conversion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Better yet, get him to join the forum!

G

Actually having started the process of an efi conversion for a different make of LBC, the price of the Moss kit doesn't seem completely obscene. The manual is excellent.

If you want to "experiment" you could go to Rick Pattens website https://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/news0305.htm and look at the TBI setup he has. It should be readily adaptable for the MG and would likely save $500 or so by the time you get all the other bits you'll need.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My understanding was that this conversion was not for performance, it was to pass CA emissions.

For power, you'd do it a bit differently.

Bret

Yoda
Bill would be correct.

Not to say that it wouldn’t be great to have a little more performance over the old ZS carb. But the focus behind the Moss TBI kit wasn’t performance so much as it was for reliability, drivability & as has been stated “CA Emissions”. However while I’m still waiting to hear back from the gentlemen who had it installed. I clearly remember him touting how much more responsive it was - of course all that might mean is that his B wasn't set-up right to begin with. However I’ve also heard a number of other folks claim to have seen a slight increase in HP. I believe Moss even said in one of their earlier write-ups on the kit that they did see a slight increase as well butt wouldn't give any numbers.

On Emissions – the Moss Kit is the only one I am aware of that is CARB compliant and smog legal.

G

Hey, my only point on this was to say that you could try something different (assuming you dont live in Kalifornia). I actually think its an ok deal for what you get. Anything else is going to require a lot more fiddling.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]

In the meantime I'm going to be secretly plotting my HS-6 conversion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BTDT, bought the factory 1.75" manifold and a set of HIF6s. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but unless you've done a bunch of work to port/smooth/gasflow a big valve (72ish) head and run an agressive cam, the HS6 is too much carb for a streetable MGB. I still don't quite understand why folks fit a DCOE to a RBB, but thats another kettle of fish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
it's only gonna be 1 HS-6 replacing the ZS, not a pair of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I never said I was gonna put two of them on there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got plans... I've got plans... However, I need to get that dern clutch fixed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, my only point on this was to say that you could try something different (assuming you dont live in Kalifornia). I actually think its an ok deal for what you get. Anything else is going to require a lot more fiddling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry partner, I hope you didn’t take my reply personally. It really sounds like a great setup - but emissions testing isn’t just limited to Kalifornia issue. There are a number of other states that still mandate some sort of emissions testing for our Rubber Bumper B's. Admittedly some are just a tail pipe test, but I believe others are just about as in depth as it is out here.

Personally I’d prefer to convert to a set of SUs or even Moss’s Supercharger kit if I thought I could – but I can’t. The fact is - right now the Moss EFI kit that is “CARB certified” (not a cheap or easy thing to do btw), is the only legitimate player in this game, if you still have to take your B down to the local smog test station.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to Bret, but major /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to Rob if you can get that HS6 past the emissions police in CA! I still want one for mine... mostly because I have bad (rich) mixture problems with my ZS that's missing the water-heat enrichment parts (choke), and only gets ~15 mpg.

Doc you still got the other one??? Maybe we can strike a deal?