• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

48 spoke wire wheels AH MKI, What to do with them?

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
I have 4 or 5 48 spoke wire wheels with old dry rotted (I think road speed) tires. Are they worth anything to anyone or just junk. I have had them for 25 years and am moving. I just hate throwing AH parts away. Any ideas? Tks. Scott

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Re: 48 spoke wire wheels AH MKI

I've got quite a few Healey and MGB wire wheels also. Probably not worth much. But if you had the time, tools and know-how to disassemble, replace bad spokes, ensure that the splines are not worn, rebuild and true, you might either be able to use them yourself, or sell them for a fraction of what you will have to spend to fix them up. In short, probably not worth much.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag

If you are "donating" or close, I could use one for a spare. Glad to pay reasonable shipping to Ma 01226. Thanks, Bob

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Funny you should mention that. I also, like I feel many of us who work on these old cars, had a few left over wire wheels. I didn't want to pay anyone to haul them away, nor pay anyone to dispose of the rubber tires, so what to do? I piled them all up (I think about six) took a photo of them and placed an ad in "Craigs List": Free BTW, and said "I'm putting them out to the curb, first here gets them". They were gone within two hours, no kidding. I also had five fairly good tires, all the same size etc. that were bias ply and white walls made by Firestone that I sold on Craigs list to VW enthusiasts. The fellow was happy to get them. So I managed to get rid of all my junk, plus made a couple bucks. I love Craigs list. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful

I wish you were nearby. I am moving and my parents are moving so I have 2 houses to pack. I would doniate them, just do not have time to pack and ship. I might try the Craigs List idea below. I am using them already to get rid of STUFF and rent a house.

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will put them on the curb and maybe a listing on Craigs List. I am not selling them, just hard to chuck them.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Help, save one for me. 15 inch, any width to fit a 100/6 , decent splines would be a plus. I know it would be a PITA but it's your chance to put a smile on a strangers face. Pretty sure these things don't have to be boxed, just a secure tag. Bob

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful

I will be off work later this week, drag them out and look them over. Will post what I find. Thanks

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful

Well I guess thats that. I pulled out the W/Wheels this morning and they are covered w rust. They are trash. Sorry, I should have checked first. Scott

R&M

I have 5 in good shape with good splines. Like dvu101 I hate to throw them out if someone can use them.
From a 67 3000 MkIII.

Location Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo)

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Boy, if I was closer than 339 miles I'd take the whole set. My (four) wheels are a little loose and at this point I don't know if its the wheels or the hubs (or both). If I knew for sure it was in the wheels I'd make the trip. Bob