• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Maybe I spoke to soon

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Fulcrum pins will not go into the A frame wishbone far enough, lack about an 1/8 of an inch from makeing a fit.

With my trusty flash light I can see they are threaded all the way to the bottom (other side) and the threads on the fulcrum pins are clean and straight. Pleanty of room left to screw in, it is not hitting the other side and both wishbones are the same no matter which pin I use. This is a fit with out the swivel pin even. They just do a hard stop.

Any ideas??

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
You might have got stuck with those bum aftermarket pins where they threaded them wrong.
Peter posted something about this about a week ago on one of the lists.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, did not see that, pins came from Peter himself. He needed that stuff when he redid my swivel pin bearings.

er, fulcrum pins

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
so let me add to this conversation .. i was checking my new pins the other day and noticed that one of them did not go all the way in (bottomed out). question .. when they go in, they have to align so the flat is positioned in the center for the wedge pin. one of the fulcrum pins didn't screw in all the way such that the flat was centered.. is that the problem you have jack?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's it, and I see no reason for it. All looks good and it is not bottoming, it just stops for some reason.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't know yet, maybe someone here does. Where did you get your pins? And am I correct, only one is bad?

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
only one arm has this problem. the other is fine... but i also noticed that the other arm has a slightly (only slightly) looser fit. i'm not real happy with it and might have it rebushed/retapped. anyway, i got the pins from either peter or tony and would have to check the black book

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I bet from Peter and he got hold of a bad batch. Beer on it?

Peter will be very embaresed, I almost wish I had not asked now and just ordered a couple new ones.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
lets talk some tech here for a moment. if i install the fulcrum pin to it's full bottom out stop, should the flat be seen when the king pin is straight up? i have to move the king pin almost straight out to see the flat.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
since the king pin and the fulcrum pin are locked by the wedge pin, does it matter if the notch isn't exactly aligned?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The fulcurm pin is aligned by the wedge pin. The swivel pin should be about straight up when all is good.

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am so glad you guys are taking the time and working out all the problems with the front end parts. I can rest at ease tonite knowing somone is looking out for me. When I get that far along with this rust bucket, I will just breeze right along and miss all the fun you are having. Thanks a bunch

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
well the old f-pins look the same as the new and they were installed on an operating frame so i'm wondering if there really is a problem. since the f-pin and k-pin are wedged, is there a problem just locking it in whereever the flat is exposed. i need some advice on this on. i'm sure someone has encounter this before. what exactly was being said about these fulcrum pins on peters sight? by the way, got my pins from tony

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good deal, do you have new wishbones as well? i.e. will they or do they fit correctly in an old wishbone??????

This screw thread turns a bit every time the wheel goes up and down, it is the bearing. It must turn a bit all the time. It needs to be locked in when the flat is in the center of the space between the ears on the wishbone and the fulcrum still has room to move a bit either way, can not be bottomed when locked in.

Maybe my prob is different as I can not get it in far enough either wishbone or either fulcrum. They just stop about an eighth inch short or being centered so I can put the wedge in to lock em.

Country flag
So the F-pin stops because it runs out of thread on the small side?

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Jack,

Have you removed both the closed end cap and the one with the grease fitting? You should be able to see what is binding up with the closed end cap off. I don't have am A arm in front of me, but I thought the fulcrum pin would thread in either end, or said differently that the pin will thread in one end and out the other if the caps are off. If the closed end cap is not removed that side gets packed with grease and debris to the point that the fulcrum pin will not go in. Now I seem to remember that one or both of yours are new. Am I correct? If that is the case then I would check all the threads. Let us know what you find.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
no i believe i do have the problem because i can't get the notch to center either and be able to put the wedge in ... these are not the original arms they are from a later MG. my old arms are frozen solid with extreme bushing wear. i just abandoned those.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The threads in each side are of a different size. I have not taken off the blind end as I can see all the way to it with a flash light and it is all clean and nice in there with the threads going all the way to the blind end cap.

Most frustrating. Did use a bit of oil and ran the pin in and out maybe 8 times cleaning all good. I think I am just having a senior moment or something.