• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Witnessed possible WOT accident this morning

I'm with ya, nomad. There <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> such a thing as <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">over-teching</span></span>...
tho I'm also one who would applaud making automatic transmissions ILLEGAL. :devilgrin:

Nah, automatic trans are great. Dealers are now discounting cars with manual trans cause no one can drive them. I get a better DEAL!!!
KA.

Good point. :smirk:

How many people do you think know not to use cruise control in the rain? I would guess that a lot of us here make really bad passengers.

I had a similar problem with the wifes Grand Prix. I went into a skid, and as in years past turned into it to let it slid and slow, then the traction control kicked in and tried to correct what I was doing??? Stupid car! There are motors connected to the steering columns of a lot of modern cars that are controlled by a YAW sensor under the center console. The car will make an attempt to keep itself on its wheels if it senses you are going to far one way or another.It will take the wheel out of your hands! (Do not get caught in a skid situation with your arm/hand through the spokes of the steering wheel, big time ouch!) Old time driving knowledge/skills may not be enough to overcome the new technology.

jsfbond said:
Old time driving knowledge/skills may not be enough to overcome the new technology.

Maybe new skills are needed to work with and not against the new tech?

Westfield_XI said:
jsfbond said:
Old time driving knowledge/skills may not be enough to overcome the new technology.

I hate that crap. The traction control on the Lincoln cuts power and you get run over. I hate that piece of crap !!!!!

Westfield_XI said:
jsfbond said:

Are we to abrogate responsibility to a machine then?

It skirts forum rules, but: there's no reasonably known entity to take responsibility from an individual and allow it to be delegated to "technology" unless we ascribe to a collective paradigm. I'm unwilling to do that.

"I am the Captain of my ship" an' all that.

DrEntropy said:
Westfield_XI said:
jsfbond said:

Are we to abrogate responsibility to a machine then?

It skirts forum rules, but: there's no reasonably known entity to take responsibility from an individual and allow it to be delegated to "technology" unless we ascribe to a collective paradigm. I'm unwilling to do that.

"I am the Captain of my ship" an' all that.

I assume that along with not driving an automatic transmission, you don't ever travel by commercial airliner. Because most of the time the human is only in the loop to observe. We abrogated responsibility to machines a long time ago..... From the telecoms system and internet to power generation and sewage treatment it's all automated nowadays.

"Press 1 for...."
I hate to admit it,but I do prefer an automatic
if I have to do around-town driving,or in unfamiliar
territory.What do you do if you happen to break a leg?
Not my first choice,but if I'm driving a toaster,
I probably deserve an automatic.We got to thinking about
it,& the only automatic we own is the '68 Ford F250.Even
the Wife's Ford Fusion is a 5speed!

- Doug

My own little 'WOT' story:
early 70's, 1971 Super Beetle, middle of icy winter in Michigan, around 11:00 pm. Around 40-45 mph on a two lane. I take my foot off the accelerator to slow down, and.......no slow down, keeps on going! I push on the brake....no slow down! I look down at the accelerator pedal and it is down by the floor boards. The linkage is frozen. I grab the ice scraper (used to scrape ice on the inside of the car cabin) and try to hook it around the accelerator pedal to pull it up.....no results. I then think to myself....'sheeeeeshhh'. To the best of my recollection I downshift, and realize thats not good, then shift into neutral (clutch pedal still free), engine at high rev's, slow down to stop the car, turn engine off, work the accelerator linkage to free it up, then go home in time to watch Johnny Carson.

It would be great in the world if every license driver had to do some sort of drivng survival test, we do these in the SCCA with Tire Rack sponsorship for teenagers. We teach them panic situactions, and car control, drills like wet and dry skid pad, panic braking and many more things. Racing had helped me to deal with street panic conditons, you learn to keep a cool head and react as needed, but for most street drivers they don't get to practice possible diaster and when it happens , many just panic. Most of the wrecks I've witness were 100% avoidlable. What I'm sick of these days are the cell phone talkers and even more the texters, I rather drive with drunk drivers than these idiots, alteast the drunks are trying to look at the road.

Hap Waldrop said:
What I'm sick of these days are the cell phone talkers and even more the texters, I rather drive with drunk drivers than these idiots, at least the drunks are trying to look at the road.

Don't blame you

https://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/yoon/1163

Westfield said:
I assume that along with not driving an automatic transmission, you don't ever travel by commercial airliner. Because most of the time the human is only in the loop to observe. We abrogated responsibility to machines a long time ago..... From the telecoms system and internet to power generation and sewage treatment it's all automated nowadays.

Far from a technophobe. And, yes the machines you mention are 'automated' but still overseen and run by well trained folks, not observers. Cars & drivers in the US on average, not so much.
When was the last time you saw a Chevy Cobalt driver do a walk-around and preflight. :shocked:

Hap said:
It would be great in the world if every license driver had to do some sort of driving survival test, we do these in the SCCA with Tire Rack sponsorship for teenagers. We teach them panic situations, and car control, drills like wet and dry skid pad, panic braking and many more things.

The program you participate in with young drivers is the best thing going for training 'em. That's the kind of thing every driver should be required to do. Pass/fail parameters, too. There ARE folks who just shouldn't be driving & chewing gum simultaneously.

Good on ya, sir! Thank you. :thumbsup:

...and it takes some sort of real issue to get me on a commercial aircraft. Sully can't be at th' stick ALL th' time.

The new technology, Doesn't mean I have to like it. (my only flying experience has been to Ireland, the alternative would have made for a tough drive.) Now a dirigible, there was an ocean crossing machine!

I've waay too many hours in the air, rotor wing and fixed. Military,civilian, private and commercial. "The Thrill is Gone".

I agree with Doc;

Even though the machine is doing the work, the guy at the stick knows what to do if it fails.
I have no complaints with technology in cars, but the operator should have to know how to handle a blank sheet first, and then the mother ship.
I was taught to drive on the farm at ten years old. First a tractor, then an old army jeep, and finally that fancy (?) pickup. All my kids (6) can drive a stick shift and, most of all, keep a calm head!
They hated my driving school until one almost got run over. I'm finally their fav.

Dave :driving:

The operative word is "taught" to drive. There is little or no courtesy and or knowledge of "right of way" on the roads today. We learned to drive @ around 10 or 12, sitting beside Mom or Dad steering the (1963 Lincoln Continental) family car. Of course with that tank you could hit any thing and not scratch the chrome.

14dna said:
I agree with Doc;

Even though the machine is doing the work, the guy at the stick knows what to do if it fails.
:driving:

Unless, of course, you are flying on a feeder airline like Delta Connection, etc Then your pilot is a $28k a year, sleep deprived low time kid who won't know what to do if anything deviates from the routine. If that's the future of air travel and it looks like it is, then I want all the electronics possible onboard.

jsfbond said:
steering the (1963 Lincoln Continental) family car.

:lol:

I learned to drive in a '61 Falcon 3-speed... mum's car. When it came time to go park in the cone course and such, she had to have her car. Took the 'test' in dad's '61 Lincoln... I wuz sweatin' bullets. Passed, tho.

Whadda barge!