• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Too many cars

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I think everyone has posted this delimma at one time or another, but I've got a little different twist. I currently have a very sweet running and nice MGB, a Bugeye in the paint shop coming home for reassembly in the next couple of weeks and two 67 Triumph TR4as awaiting restoration in my barn. I know I'll finish one of the TR4as and the other has a rotten frame so it will probably be a parts car and neither are in the way of anything. That said I've run across a very nice Factory Five 65 Cobra built the way I would build one and I want it...I REALLY want it! I love the MGB, have barely driven the Bugeye before starting restoration, and have the TRs because of a love affair I had with one in the late 60s. I have indoor space for 2 LBCs and I cant leave one outside covered or uncovered...just can't do it. The FFC would live in the garage since it has NO weather protection, but what do I do? The logical answer is to sell the MGB since it's finished and presents very well, the others are projects that obviously have more value once completed. My wife calls this a high quality problem...I call it a delimma. Thoughts?
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 97
Country flag
Rut,
Someone offered me a very good deal on a red cobra last year, I was down writing the check but just couldn't pull the trigger. I do like the looks of the blue one better than the red. You know you can get rid of the 4(s) to me. DO IT! Lol
Marv

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a FF cobra replica for approx 10 years. Wonderful car, ran extremely well, looked good and got tons of compliments. The down side and ultimate reason for selling - rain, rain and more rain. Car was virtually impossible to drive in the rain especially at night . I had a full tonneau cover to protect the inside but nothing I could do to improve the wet weather vision. It got to the point where I spent more time on the weather forecast than I did driving it. Going out in the evening if the weather was the least little bit iffy drove me crazy so eventually I just gave up.. IMO Cobra roofs, both soft and hard are UGLY (and expensive).. You'll enjoy the **** out of it UNTIL you get tired of getting wet. Bob

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys! I read a story about Alan Jackson (singer) and his wife going on their first rally in a cobra and it was funny as he11! Bottom line was the rain and windshield fogging...no way to get away from it. This may the midlife crisis I missed, but I'm sure I'll find out soon. My wife has a practical car, I have a pickup and I've never driven any of my recent LBCs in the rain.
Rut

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Your problem doesn't have anything to do with what cars to own, it's all about storage. Put a couple of four post lifts in your garage and double the storage. Build another barn in your backyard. How much can rental storage space be in Tuscaloosa? If you can't find alternative storage, the choices are tougher and entirely yours. It would be tough for me to let go of the bugeye. You've done a lot of work and there are few purer driving experiences than a well done bugeye. I love the FFRs and debated selling my big Healey for a Type 65 coupe, but local regulations made it easier to convert my car with a V8 than register an FFR. If you're thinking about future investment, they're making FFRs in Massachusetts every day and there's nothing vintage about them, besides the looks. Perhaps an MGB or TR might appreciate more than an FFR? But if I were choosing, I'd go with the bugeye and the FFR. Who needs weatherproofing? And before making a final decision, watch my favorite vid. It;s not that terrible a decision:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If its something you're really excited for, then go for it!

I love MGBs, and really miss my old one (the one car I've ever regretted selling) -- that said, they made half a million MGBs so finding another one down the road wouldn't be too hard for you. I couldn't sell the Bugeye, mine will never leave while I'm still breathing.

And a +1 on building more storage space. I have a little 1-car shop out back, which is one of the major reasons my wife and I are working on moving!

I've looked at those Cobra replicas many times over the years. Could easily be swayed by one some day. So get it, and tell us all about it. :grin:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick,
Ive never driven an FFR Cobra and may not like it, but I don't think that will be the case. Once I check the car out in person I'll know more and my wife and I will be looking at a new home in the near future. My experience with storage is that those cars rarely get driven, the ones in the garage do. All that said the new home will have a 4 car garage and a shop, we just have to decide where we want to live.
Rut

1965 Shelby Cobra replica - Factory Five Mark II - 5.0l V8 with supercharger producing 446 rwhp with a 5 speed transmission and 4 wheel disc brakes. This car attracts a lot of attention and is a lot of fun to drive. See pictures call if you have any questions.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 161

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My late brother-in-law had an Aurora Cobra 302, soft-top, hard-top and even air conditioned. Took it to Cobra events and was keen on making it look real. Had dents placed to look like aluminum etc. All the flaws of the real car. Got rid of it after replacing steering wheel with a smaller one as he was tired of dieting.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I had a FF cobra replica for approx 10 years. Wonderful car, ran extremely well, looked good and got tons of compliments. The down side and ultimate reason for selling - rain, rain and more rain. Car was virtually impossible to drive in the rain especially at night . I had a full tonneau cover to protect the inside but nothing I could do to improve the wet weather vision. It got to the point where I spent more time on the weather forecast than I did driving it. Going out in the evening if the weather was the least little bit iffy drove me crazy so eventually I just gave up.. IMO Cobra roofs, both soft and hard are UGLY (and expensive).. You'll enjoy the **** out of it UNTIL you get tired of getting wet. Bob
Bob,
since I know nothing about these cars I would like to hear more, either here or offline. The car is a MK2 that the current owner bought as a project...he added a new FFR rear end/suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, cam, heads, supercharger, etc. I'm going to look at it this weekend and I hope it's sorted out...he's had it for 10 years and does not have a top for it.
Rut

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Rut,

446 rwhp. You're going to like it !!!!!! Careful on your test drive. Respect the car, it can kill you. They swap ends real quick with that kind of hp and wet or moist pavement can be a disaster. Never owned one, but ridden in a few. If you need some advice, go here: https://www.ffcars.com/ Good bunch of folks on that forum (I hang out there for knowledge on my Ford motor) You might actually find some info on the car you're looking at as lots of people post their builds on the site.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick,
Thanks for that good advice...I don't drive worth a crapp dead! I'll check out the forum and see if I can learn something.
Rut

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Last summer we were enjoying breakfast outdoors at Blind Charlie's in Scotts Corners when a Cobra roared up and parked in front. The driver was wearing a headset because of the noise. It had a side exhaust that was the loudest thing I ever heard. When he left. the first thing he did was clamp on the headset. I don't know if I could live with a car like that.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK, yesterday I ranted on my ownership woes in a FFR today I'll try to be a little more helpful.

Firstly, all FFR Cobras look pretty much the same, different paint, wheels etc but similar.
They do not all drive alike, some like a dream some like a nightmare . There are so many alternatives in the
part selection that effect their personality.

When you test this one don't give it a two mile test ride. Get out there for 10 or 15 miles on all kinds of different roads.
15" wheels give the best ride but size availability in the larger sizes are kinda thin..
Standard rear is the slightly Modified Mustang is good, better choice is a modified T'Bird independent rear, more $$, better ride and handling.
Standard tranny is the Mustang T9 a little weak and marginal synchros, Tremec is better, Automatic's harder to fit in.
Watch the rear gear ratios. 3.5 and 3.7 make first gear almost useless
Steering is very important. Initially FFR suggested using the Mustang rack without power. AWFUL very hard to steer. Next suggestion was to use the Mustang rack with power. AWFUL too easy and too quick very twitchy. Can be fixed by
adding a valve to the circuit to cut the boost. I used a standard Pinto rack, a nice compromise.

If the car you are looking at has very low mileage it may be because it wasn't fun to drive. Trust me, you will get tired of spinning the wheels if that is the only attraction.
These cars are not easy to drive with all the power, very short wheelbase, and minimal weight. You do have to pay attention all the time.

If you have specific questions now or after the test drive let me know. Bob

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bob,
I don't know the details yet, but the owner changed out the rear end/suspension and added rear discs. Since it's a MK2 its not the latest version but he said he updated several parts on the car and feels like it's a good driver, but I'll know once I get behind the wheel.
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm in Birmingham where the car is located and as much as I like it I really don't want another car that my wife can't drive...I want her to share in the experience. If I'm willing to spend that much money on a FFR Cobra what else is out there for the same money? Boxsters, Z4s, TTs, etc...something relatively new, convertible, paddle shifter, AC.
Thoughts? Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick,
That issue scared me off several years ago, but post 2005 cars don't experience that problem. If you look at the early Boxsters they are really cheap and a replacement engine is $12k! Since this is the time of the year to buy a convertible I want to buy a car before the end of February.
Rut

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't forget the XK8's! One would be high on my list if I ever decided to give up the B's.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not many cars out there that hasn't had a problem at one time in it's lifetime. I even read an article where a Rolls broke an axle once and stranded it's owner out in Gods country somewhere and Rolls apparently fixed the problem, but wouldn't own up to the fact that their car would do that! :rolleyes2: :nonod: :yesnod:!