• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tightening the Ignition Nut

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm sure there's a spanner that is made to tighten the nuts on the dash that hold the light switches and ignition, but I don't happen to have one. I lent it to Anthony and he never gave it back. Something about his dog eating it.

So if you don't have the correct spanner, any alternatives that won't scratch the nut and will apply even pressure? Thanks.

A pair of fine needle nose pliers aimed head on works just fine if you have a steady hand. A set of snap ring pliers works even better. See attached pic.
D

Attachments

• 281609-DSC00893.jpg
    281609-DSC00893.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 128
Thanks Dave. I lent Keoke my snap ring pliers, so I'll just have to give it a go with my needle nose and hope that I'm having one of those steady hand days.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Dave. I lent Keoke my snap ring pliers, so I'll just have to give it a go with my needle nose and hope that I'm having one of those steady hand days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope "U" not telling the truth cuz I have the correct tool and don't need to borrow no kinda pliers.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

P.S. I would tell you where to get one but I know you be frugal and don't like spending no money so- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

Frugal, Healey, in the same sentence?
I too used a needle nose plier. The end of the pliers had a 45 bend, which helped avoid the shaft. Two hands. One to keep pressure, the other to keep the two tips in the small groves, while trying to turn. Yhea, that's easyer than it sounds.

BCS I believe sells the tool.

Slow and steady hand will do the job. Be patient and persistant. As usual when working on our cars.
Roger

[ QUOTE ]
Nope "U" not telling the truth cuz I have the correct tool

[/ QUOTE ]

You got my tool? So that's where it went to. Either all my tools keep disappearing, or I don't have any. I can't remember which.

shg, nope it was my cat what 8 da wrench,ive seen many a bj8 with some really beautiful gouges/scratches agross the shiny bits of the dash as attemps were made to tighten these nut/rings,use seveal layers of masking tape all around where your going to work better yet make a mask using a thin piece of plastic or you next questions gunna be "are the shiny metal fascia pieces available?" hay! i know a guy with a small shop that can custom manufacture the perfect wrench for this or any other a.h. job, the tools are made free of charge, but the instruction sheets are very,very, expensive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

well, you know what they say about a big cat...the last nut I had on the ignition was stipped, so I replaced it and need to get it just a little bit tighter. a little bit. just enough to scratch the crap out it. I'm beginning to get tool envy.

shg,thats allways the last thing goin through ones head shortly preceding the disaster-"jusy a little tighter" take the rubbery/plastic top from a coffee can cut out the diameter ya need tape it to the dash and use it to protect the immediate area.go for it big boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Go to flea markets. I got too different size circle/ring clip removers for a buck. They have the 90 degree bend that doesn't interfere with the switch handle. I think this is what Roger is talking about. I like the tape ieda. Another use for duct tape. They even work on the U-joints.

did it. no problem, didn't scratch anything, didn't over tighten but got it nice and snug. And used the coffee can for a nice cuppa joe afterwards. Thanks guys.