• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

CL square-body Sprite

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Re: CL Square-body Sprite

Wow- leather top and a Porsche transmission! Now THAT is rare!
BillM

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

$17K ???! Hope does spring eternal.

RickB

Yoda

Well having the "sleeved brake lines" and the "Premium wire wheels" seals the deal for me... Oh wait - I already have one of those cars in my little stable.

Gee, I'd happily take half what this guy is asking, considering I have the unremarkable steel wheels with AH chrome hubcaps and not the "Premium wire wheels" option and my "leather top" is made of lowly vinyl and my transmission is a lowly smoothcase sitting behind a Bugeye 948.

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
And I thout that I wouldn't be able to sell my 62 for what we will have in it
grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Basically, <span style="text-decoration: underline">almost everything</span> with a stick shift trans has the <span style="font-style: italic">Porsche-type</span> baulk-ring synchromesh.

That's about as special as saying your car has <span style="text-decoration: underline">round-type</span> tires.
Jaguars, dump trucks, Miatas,....virtually all regular vehicles use this design.

Porsche developed the cone-type synchro for the first 356. Now it's common on most cars.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
That's about as special as saying your car has <span style="text-decoration: underline">round-type</span> tires.

Round tires???!!!! WHERE did you find those?

nomad

Yoda
aeronca65t said:
Basically, <span style="text-decoration: underline">almost everything</span> with a stick shift trans has the <span style="font-style: italic">Porsche-type</span> baulk-ring synchromesh.

Jaguars, dump trucks, Miatas,....virtually all regular vehicles use this design.

Porsche developed the cone-type synchro for the first 356. Now it's common on most cars.

I didn't know that! Thanks for that tidbit of info, Nial, but it only makes me curious as to what was used before that. Surely everyone wasn't double clutching as late as the 356 were they. Were all trannies before that like the smooth case BMC.(Come to think of it I learned to double clutch on a 50 Studebaker truck, no sychros.)

Wilson pre selector was doing the shifting for you in the 30's.

Kurt.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
He forgot to mention in his write up that he has the rare and less desirable (IMO) late model seats.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Lots and lots of work there. The only thing going for this one is the bonnet and that one doesn't fit at all. If it wasn't for the BE Bonnet this is a $750 Spridget. And the bonnet brings it up to maybe $1,000.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
nomad said:
I didn't know that! Thanks for that tidbit of info, Nial, but it only makes me curious as to what was used before that. Surely everyone wasn't double clutching as late as the 356 were they. Were all trannies before that like the smooth case BMC.(Come to think of it I learned to double clutch on a 50 Studebaker truck, no sychros.)

Wilson pre selector was doing the shifting for you in the 30's.

Kurt.

Cadillac actually invented syncros in the 1920s and they were on many cars by the 30s (usually only on the upper two gears). They also used a cone-type arrangement.

Porsche's design was really more of an evolution on the Cadillac design and involved the baulk ring. So cars had syncros for a long time, but the Porsche setup was a bit better.

There's probably a good write-up that really explains this better <span style="font-style: italic">somewhere</span> on the internet.
grin.gif

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like the Porsche advance is to have removable/replaceable syncros instead of having them shrink fit (like the smoothcase has). Didn't know that Porsche did that improvement but I am glad that someone did!!
BillM

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The interesting things we learn and share chasing after this Forum.

Thanks so much.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And, his statement about the Sprite being much rarer than the Midget is incorrect also. For sidecurtain cars, there were over 50% more Sprites than Midgets, and Sprite Production exceeded Midget Production until about 1967.
But.... This Sprite is the probably one of the much rarer 17k versions I think... :thumbsup:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Some poor sole in for an unpleasant surprise. That is a big number even for a very nice Bugeye. In fact in todays market I am afraid it is impossible.