• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Toyo R888 on Square Arch Spridget?

RacerArt

Freshman Member
Is anyone using the Toyo R888 in 185/60-13 on a square-arch Spridget? According to the charts, they look a little narrower than the Hoosier R6 and TD in the same size.

I don't mind massaging the rear fenders a bit, but I really don't want to subject them to the flaming hack saw. :eeek:

Thanks for any advice!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm running them (on stock rims), but with my Spridget modified to the RWA rear fender shape.

I do not think they'd fit under the square rear fenders without a good deal of work.

By the way, I'm running 3/16" spacers to keep them from rubbing the leaf springs....they still lightly contact the springs at times.

OP
R

RacerArt

Freshman Member
Thanks for the feedback. I neglected to mention that this is a '63 with quarter elliptic springs. I'm told that adds a wee bit of clearance, but I don't have a semi-eliptic car handy to compare to.

I thought about converting to RWA, but this car has so much sentimental value that I'd rather leave that part of it stock and sacrific some performance potential. What are the non-flared square arch people stuffing under their rears? :blush:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Probably the Hoosier A70 Street TDs.

You can find them (and size info) ~Here~ . You could probably just call Phil and ask him....he's a good guy.

I ran the Kumho DOT 175/60-13 race tires for a while with square fenders, but they don't make them anymore.

Sumitomo makes a smaller 13" "sport" tire (HTR-200). I have the 14" versions on my MGB and I used to have the 13" size on my street Spridget.
They look good and are cheap, but are not really a very sticky tire (they have a 380 threadwear value, so they're actually pretty hard).

OP
R

RacerArt

Freshman Member
The Hoosiers were the first ones I looked at, and I figured they were probably my only choice in a serious race tire. My experience is that Hoosiers in general tend to be physically larger than the markings would lead you to think and so I did some more research on 13" tires and came across the Toyos. The Hoosiers show a "section width" of 7.5" and the Toyo shows an "overall width" of 7.4". I'm hoping this means the Toyos would actually lead to less clearance trouble. I'm still months away from buying one to find out, but that will help with rim width choices too.

BTW, I tried clicking through to take a look at your car so I could see how much yours stick out from the fenders, but the link is blocked at work. Ptui!

I was at a track trials last weekend and one of the fellows there was using the Sumis. He was way slower than the competition and I think 75% of that was not having enough grip.