• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 Oil Filter Change on a Bugeye...

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Guys... I know there are a lot of Bugeyes out there with 1275 engines in them. Was there some change in the location and/or configuration of the oil filter between the original 948 and the 1275 engines? Last night I had the unfortunate experience of changing my oil. I had forgotten what a messy PIA it was. The oil filter canister on my car lines up almost perfectly with the passenger side frame rail, making it very difficult to remove/replace the bolt that holds the canister in place.

Last night I decided to get smart and try a ratcheting type box wrench on the thing. It worked fine until I got the bolt to the point where it was too loose to resist the ratchet action, I and needed to take the wrench off the bolt and finish it off by hand. Unfortunately, I had backed the bolt out too close to the frame rail and couldn't get the wrench off of it! Since it was a one-way ratcheting wrench, I couldn't just tighten it back up a little. I finally managed to get it off after dumping half the contents of the oil filter in all down my arms and on my face (it took 2 ice-cold Shiner Bocks to wash the taste of used motor oil out of my mouth!)

The oil change took about an hour and a half. Surely there is a better way. Would the use of a spin on adapter/oil filter make my life a lot easier, or are there potential conflicts with it and the 1275/Bugeye combination as well?

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
There should be an adapter between the block and the filter head that angles the filter back and away. The other option is to change to a spin on filter. I've got an adapter if you need it.

Country flag
My spin on oil filter is right in line with the frame rail as you mentioned, but if I use a short filter it is no problem. I put a long filter on it when the engine was out of the car, then it was a PITB to get it removed once the engine was in place.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
you can easily convert it to a 1275 spin on. just need the spin on plate (bolts to block 2 bolts you know) and the metal hose.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Is there a difference between the 1275 and 948 filter mounting? I just changed the oil on my 948 last night, and the filter pointed nicely at an empty space in the frame. With that and the cutout through the fender area, I could get a socket on the end nut, and a hand on the filter itself. Seemed very easy. Were the later motors different?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The "surroundings" certainly were /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
get from a 1275 the piece that the filter spins on to (bolts to the block with 2 bolts) and the metal hose (I believe they are lil different)and swap em so you can have a spin on filter.

OP
Kurtis

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
See the attached picture, and you can see where the filter canister sits relative to the frame.

Attachments

• 203865-Pc060063.jpg
    203865-Pc060063.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 260

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Your main problem is drinking Shiner Bock ice cold. Next time try just fridge cold - much more taste!

OP
Kurtis

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Your main problem is drinking Shiner Bock ice cold. Next time try just fridge cold - much more taste!

[/ QUOTE ]

But then I have to keep going inside to get one instead of just reaching into the ice chest in the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

adam70

Jedi Hopeful
just do a relocation kit and mount it up on the fender well. it'll be much easier to get to.