• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel Spacers?

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
Anyone know where I can get some 6mm wheel spacers? These allow the wire wheel adapters to be bolted up to the existing hubs without having to trim off the lug nut bolts. Can seem to find them anywhere on the big 3...

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There were some on ebay.ca recently, and I think the seller has them up quite regularly. Item number was 160221547337 last time - might try contacting him?

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
Give these guys a call, you can spec them however you want them. Their prices are very good as is their quality. I have a set from these people and they are very nice.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/spacers

You will need to know all the specs for what you want because I am pretty sure they don't know TR type specs off the top of their head. Mainly, bolt pattern, size of mounting face (overall diameter), inner bore hole size (this will need to be very accurate if you want to make them hubcentric, like within .01 inches), thickness, and then size out the snout if you want them to be wheel centric as well (again will need to be accurate to .01). I used a pair of digital calipers and faired very well in getting the exact size.

Sounds more complicated than it is, but it really is pretty easy.

PeterK

Yoda
Moss sells 6mm spacers p/n 674-685 $38.20.

But they are universal and also available in most autoparts stores for a lot le$$.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I got a set at a local wheel shop -- the sort that caters to the hot-rodders and low riders.

spacers.JPG

Work just fine.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Craig,
Drop Fran Fisher an email FGFO1@aol.com He machines an assortment of custom goodies for our cars including wheel spacers, carb float adjustment template, fuel pump blanking plate. You can see them here https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/FrankFisher.htm

Here's his wheel spacer next to my old Pep Boys one.
OldNewSpacer%20(Small).jpg

And on the car
NewSpacer%20(Small).jpg

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
George:

I picked up a set of wires for my 250 this winter & also want to keep my stock steel lug nuts.

What is the thickness of the spacers you got?
Do you have a mfg & part #?
thanks

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
gjh said:
George:

I picked up a set of wires for my 250 this winter & also want to keep my stock steel lug nuts...

Of course you mean you want to keep your original studs... you will be getting a new set of double-bevel lug nuts to use when mounting the splined adaptors and wire wheels.

Sorry, no markings indicating mfg or p/n on the spacers.

They are 6mm or 1/4" thick.

OP
CraigLandrum

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to all - I was the guy that bought the two spacers off eBay and was hunting for two more :smile: I'll check that those fit then get the measurements and go looking at local parts stores.

frank_fisher

Freshman Member
Hello every one.
This is my first post to this web site, looks kinda cool.
I am frank fisher the manufacturer of the wheel spacers shown above by Bob Danielson.
I fabricate them from 6063-T6 aluminum alloy. They are CNC machined for accuracy and consistency.
I fabricate the parts I sell for the camaraderie of the triumph car community. I don’t really make a lot of cash, but it does help with the restoration of my 58 TR3.
There are a number of things to be cautious about when buying and using wheel spacers.

Safety first. For times when using the spacer for wire wheels. Put spacer and hub on and bolt em up good and tight. Now I like to use a little round ¼” dia lump of plumber’s putty which I put on top of each wheel stud. Then a light coat of WD40 on the inside of the wheel. Put the wheel on, bolt it up. Let the jack down.
Then take the wheel off again. The putty should not have compressed all the way down to the stud. You do this because not all wheels are made the same or consistent. You don’t want the wheel riding on the studs.
If the putty is compressed all the way to the studs, you need thicker spacers or grind the studs.

Now the inconvenient, for all applications, not just wire wheels. The generic store bought will probably throw your wheel s out of balance. This is because the slots are a lot wider than the stud is. A nominal ½” dia stud is not ½”, in fact its many thousands less. the generic probably has a 5/8" slot. When you drop the generic on it will settle down on the studs. You will need to find a way to get them centered and stay there till you get the wheel or adaptor on. They are a pain in the ***. I think Bob Danielson was having a heck of a time with wheel shake each time he took his wheels off.

Now the shameless self promotion. I have a couple of pair left still. Contact me at fgfo1@aol.com if you would like some.

Thanks, and I look forward to this forum.

PeterK

Yoda
When I used generic spacers, which are not hub centric as Franks said, I used a couple of pieces of double sided tape to center the adapters until I torqued them down. Spacers I use now are custom made, drilled to fit.