• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Derrington Steering Wheel

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi again. Hope someone can assist. My '66 AH BJ8 "needs" a Concours correct (as described in the Guidelines) Derrington Steering wheel (adjustable) and I am confused when I search on the internet. I get "Derrington Style" but cant seem to find the Derrington that will pass Concours. Also, the Guidelines are silent as to its diameter. For the 100's, 16" are noted. Would someone help and direct me where to find and purchase? Correct diameter? I assume the adjustable wheel comes with whatever I need to install?
Also, when I view my tailpipes from straight down from the edge of my bumper, they are approximately 2 1/4" out/extended from bumper. Some observers think it is too far out and will cause point deductions during Concours judging. Does anyone have info on this? If they need shortening, the Guidelines are silent. What is the acceptable?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 3DFF6E61-6AA1-4FAF-833C-D4063ACFDA37.JPG
    3DFF6E61-6AA1-4FAF-833C-D4063ACFDA37.JPG
    768.2 KB · Views: 129
OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes R. I talked with him a short while ago. He is months out before he could start. I need the steering wheel before 11/3. Also, he's at about $800. Kind of high. Any other source? Also tried Ebay. Not certain if the products I saw complied. Are you aware of the proper diameter?
Any thoughts on the tail pipe issue?
Thanks

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Related to the tail pipes, I've seen photos where there is a connection piece that attaches between the two pipes where they exit.
I don't see it in the Moss catalog, but I've seen it on some cars. Might look into that.
This photo is for a Kurt Tanner car.
(It appears to be 2 C-clamps, modified, bent end cut off? that are used in other areas on the system)

Attachments

• D3C15A7A-F7DB-483D-8184-0F5210637113.jpeg
    D3C15A7A-F7DB-483D-8184-0F5210637113.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 110
  • C21F314C-2E80-491E-8195-59CAFDBDED43.jpeg
    C21F314C-2E80-491E-8195-59CAFDBDED43.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks R. Calling Roger on Monday. I think the tail pipes end, on a angle, at the end of the bumper guards, which is approximately one inch from the actual bumper.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try EBAY and talk to the seller to verify the condition:
Austin Healey 3000 Steering Wheel Original BJ8 Very Nice condition Adjustable

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
, I've seen photos where there is a connection piece that attaches between the two pipes where they exit.:
TH
That is a balance pipe that is most commonly used on V8-powered cars.
That pipe is usually installed right after the mufflers.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Try EBAY and talk to the seller to verify the condition:
Austin Healey 3000 Steering Wheel Original BJ8 Very Nice condition Adjustable
Yes. I saw that. However, I am looking for the Derrington wood steering wheel which is slated, 120* spoke, 9-12 rivets attaching the wood to the frame and layers of light and dark wood. Asking too much?? I guess, but that is what Concours says is acceptable.

Crusty

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
For what it is worth, Anderson and Moment's Restoration Guide states

" BJ7s and BJ8s were were equiped with the same steering wheels as on the 6 cylinder roadsters, with black plastic rims and banjo style spokes. Steering wheels were still listed as available in a 16 1/2 inch adjustable style or a 16 1/2 inch or 17 inch non adjustable style, but non adjusatable styles were rarely seen on the convertable cars"

it seems to me that Derrington wheels or wood rim rim wheels were not fitted originaly.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Crusty. FYI, the Concours Guidelines provide for a Derrington wood wheel as an acceptable accessory. It also allows a Les Leston wood wheel. See Guidelines under "accessories".

Crusty

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Law75,
I only wondered if there was a difference in the concours marking between acceptable and original.
I completely agree with your choice of wheel. My BN7 has an original style wheel and my BJ8 has a wood rim 15 inch Moto Lita wheel.
I prefer the Moto Lita wheel because it looks far better than the bog standard Austin wheel, suits my hands better and also has the advantage of more leg room between the top of my legs and the steering wheel. I also have Torrington bearings in the BJ8 swivel pins which makes the steering lighter than the BN7 which doesnt.

Country flag
As an aside, legend has it that none other than Gerry Coker designed the original 'Derrington' wheel, and the first few were fabbed at the Healey shop. Have also heard the originals were made of obechi wood, but have also heard they were made with marine plywood.

Here's the wheel Mike Lempert made for my 100M; IIRC it was made with rosewood. Note delivery took months, as Mike is usually backlogged and the wheel requires a modded hub (Mike mods a Mota Lita hub, which was also backordered).

Attachments

• Steering Wheel.JPG
    Steering Wheel.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 94
OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
As an aside, legend has it that none other than Gerry Coker designed the original 'Derrington' wheel, and the first few were fabbed at the Healey shop. Have also heard the originals were made of obechi wood, but have also heard they were made with marine plywood.

Here's the wheel Mike Lempert made for my 100M; IIRC it was made with rosewood. Note delivery took months, as Mike is usually backlogged and the wheel requires a modded hub (Mike mods a Mota Lita hub, which was also backordered).
Bob. That wheel is magnificent. Being a wood artist myself, I can appreciate the beauty of you wheel. Luckily, I have my hub and all other parts in good working order. Just need the wheel. Molta said they can not make one until "sometime next year"! Wondering, could they be so busy?? Crazy.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
FYI, found a Derrington steering wheel at AH Spares., They sent pictures and the wheel is perfect, two color wood and all the rest. Will have wheel by wed and try my best to install. Thanks all...