• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Tropic Fan

croz

Country flag
Could someone please post an image of the TR3 Tropic Fan.
I've heard about this thing for years but don't think I've seen one.

This is what I believe to be a tropical fan, compared to a standard one.
Jesus

Attachments

• Fans1.JPG
    Fans1.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Fans2.JPG
    Fans2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 127
Yet another view:

Tropical2_zps04e63f76.jpg

As I recall some had larger rivets than others though I know of no problem with either.

Cooling advantages aside -- the tropical also has less aluminum sticking out beyond the cruciform. I think (hope) that design is less prone to fatigue and breakage.

Fanx2_zpsfa73a555.jpg

Here is mine 100_0844.jpgas well as a couple of pictures of others I have collected over the years100_0844.jpg.TropicalFan.jpgtropical-1.jpgTropical_zps3dccced8.jpg

Here's the drawing from the manual

6BLADEFAN211986.jpg

Howdy Folks,

"Interesting". How much more "Significantly" does this fan keep the temps down at "Prolonged Idle" as well as sitting in "Traffic"?

I just purchased one of those "Fail Safe Thermostats" ($16.00) to help the above situation. Not installed yet.

I spoke to one of my Guru Mechanics & He "Highly Recommends" that "Long / Deep" Thermostat that Moss is selling for nearly $100.00. Whats been some exp. with you folks who have bought the $100.00 one???

Thanx, Russ

...How much more "Significantly" does this fan keep the temps down at "Prolonged Idle" as well as sitting in "Traffic"?...

I have no data to offer, just anecdotal experience. It is significant. On a hot day it is the difference between a gauge creeping up and a gauge holding steady. It moves a lot of air. Must require a fraction more HP but I've got more where that came from.

As for $100 thermostats -- never looked into that. Once that sucker is wide open then I don't see how it can get much better.

I do have the bypass hose almost entirely blocked so if the $$$ are for the sleeve to block that, there may be an alternative.

So that's what the fan looks like. Thanks to all who provided images. I'll keep a lookout for one now.
You may not think it's needed here in the Great White North but summer temperatures touring in southern BC wine country can get scorching.

Hello Russ, I had one of those 100.00 beauties fail when a solder joint sprung a leak. I keep it on the workbench as a reminder of vintage technology, 6 months later it's still half full of water.
I guess it's a one way leak. It's replacement has been working well.

...summer temperatures touring in southern BC wine country can get scorching...

Scorching huh?

I've mentioned before the day I drove the TR3 past one of those time/temperature displays and thought 'It seems later than a quarter after one'. Then the display changed to 2:30 and I realized that the 115 I saw wasn't the time.

I have one of those "$100" thermostats in my '59. I bought it during the restoration before the price became outrageous. I had the radiator cleaned and pressure tested (still have the crank hole) before I put it back in the car and I elected to use a yellow TR6 fan. Before the restoration, the temp was generally good but would climb quickly when I sat in a traffic jam on a hot day. Now it works like a brand new 50 year old car. Something made the difference but I'm not sure which had the biggest impact.

Joe

Croz;

One thing to keep in mine since your way up north. With that type of fan, driving your car on a cool or cold day will keep the engine from reaching normal operating temperature. Therefore, your heater won't be putting out any heat and you may have to use your choke to keep it idling. I take mine out every once in awhile during the winter. I installed an electric fan which never comes on when it's cold out and the heater works pretty good.

The 4 blade fan has always been inadequate in warmer climates than the UK. I recently gave a friend a spare (ex Triumph 2000 sedan) tropical fan as per pic 4 above. His TR3A now runs at normal temperature in our very hot TX like summers.

Viv

Interesting thread. I'm going to have to start looking for one of these fans too! Honestly, with all the threads related to overheating, I'm surprised it's not the best seller for the big three suppliers...

John, I had the same though. Would be very nice to have one of those fans. Seems to me I read about a conversion that allowed use of plastic TR6 fan. Cheers, Mike

Wow. Do they really make that much difference. I can see the pitch is steeper. It seems that there were not that many made if it was an addition to the model after shipping. So as far as judging goes, any car could have have one added by the dealer in warmer climates?? Correct.

Were they made for other model Triumphs as well?

Wow. Do they really make that much difference.
Lack of airflow is definitely the primary problem at idle, IMO. You could certainly have other problems as well, but airflow is the weak link with the stock setup at idle. With my previous 270 sweep temperature gauge, I could literally see the needle drop when the electric fan came on, and even it doesn't move all that much air.

But (again IMO) if you have problems with running hot at speeds of 30 mph or more, more fan is not likely to help.

From my discussions with an ex-dealer in the US, it seems that the "tropical fan" was never actually listed as an option for the TR3; just something that dealers in Australia discovered would fit and work. It's still not clear to me that the fans pictured are, in fact, the same fans that were installed back in the 50s. PN 211986 seems to have been introduced some time after 1960, and was the stock fan (or at least listed as an option) on several Triumph models including TR4A, early Vitesse/Sports 6, Triumph 2000 and early GT6.

As a side comment, my father's opinion is that the stock 4 blade fan tended to twist in use and lose pitch from what they were originally. It makes a certain amount of sense to me. And he claims to have solved his idle cooling problem by carefully tweaking more pitch into the 4-blade fan (making sure that all blades are bent the same, to avoid introducing vibration).

Also, there is a 6 blade Volvo fan that can supposedly be modified to work on a TR. Just redrill two holes in the right places. Bob Schaller wrote of what I assume is a different Volvo fan, that "fit perfectly" but required the fan extension to be shortened.