• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HOW do I get this thing apart?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I can't get the spindle off the hub (for the wheel) to take it apart and clean it. And so we can redo the rotor. It's crudded up with 40 years of tar and gook. I've sprayed, twisted, cursed, banged and used the biggest BFH I can find in the garage. It's cost me a nail and an hour. If I could get it apart, I could put the 4 separate parts into the parts washer, use OilEater or whatever.

I've been mucking away at it with a putty knife and I'm DONE. I'm making hardly no progress and I cannot get the bolts to budge.

Sawzall?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Sawzall?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Ryan

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Paul
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is a puller type of device the bolts to the studs and pushes against the spindle as you turn the threaded portion. I have one just for removing the rear hubs from a 49 Willys wagon. Look for something like that.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
The other front one isn't as dirty but I'll be dogged if I can get it apart either. I wanted to get something accomplished today. I don't know how I'll get them apart to clean and paint. I guess Chuck can haul them to John's shop tomorrow, he's probably got something like what you're talking about.

I can't even get the nuts off. Aggravating!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hoho, join the club, the I can't get the bolts off club.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Sawzall. At the very least, angle grinder should shear them babies off.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
((I'm glad he said bolts...))

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I can't get the spindle off the hub (for the wheel) to take it apart and clean it. And so we can redo the rotor. It's crudded up with 40 years of tar and gook. I've sprayed, twisted, cursed, banged and used the biggest BFH I can find in the garage. It's cost me a nail and an hour. If I could get it apart, I could put the 4 separate parts into the parts washer, use OilEater or whatever.

I've been mucking away at it with a putty knife and I'm DONE. I'm making hardly no progress and I cannot get the bolts to budge.

Sawzall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which bolts?!? Four bolts around the spindle holding the rotor to hub? Are the center spindle and wheel bearings apart now? Should be. Step ONE would be a wire wheel and get as much rust/corrosion as possible off that way. Then PB Blaster on the nuts/threads, over and over. Soak 'em for two days. Heat wrench in the form of a propane tourch to heat them, MORE penetrant and mebbe an air wrench and impact socket for added "shock value". That'd be my method.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Impact gun.
Let 'em take it to the shop. It's not worth the aggrivation.
Either there's something hiding that you're not seeing that's holding them togeather, or it requires some special tools (i.e. power tools, or a press)
Either way, find something else to clean up, and send those buggers to the shop.
Then have a glass of wine and shout "So there! nyaaaah!"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No presswork, Ben. Just age and rust. The studs are knurled, the nuts are likely just rusted in place after 40 years. I forgot she could pass it off to a shop... PB Blaster, heat and impact wrench... and no more broken nails!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Yes the 4 bolts. Buggers won't budge, got the nuts off, but that's as far as it went. I WANTED to have this all done today.

GRRRRRRRRRRR. I have wire brushed them, I have (he has) an impact wrench thingie, not sure about oh yea, we got a blow torch thing, but I'm skeered of it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If the nuts are off it's just corrosion! PB BLaster at the edges where hub joins the rotor and around the studs, soak, soak, soak. THEN have at it with the BFH a bit. If you can get the rotor suspended between a couple concrete blocks, splines down (so the hub is not touching ground underneath) and a 4 or 5 inch piece of 2x4... bash the hub from the back using the 2x4 as a "drift" and the BFH. You've got it to a point where an impact wrench is not useful (I thought the nuts were the prob). Now ya gotta "out-patience" the machine.

EDIT: OH! And cleaning the back side part of the hub as well as possible then sandpaper it to get as much rust off of it as possible, soak that side as well with Blaster where the hub goes thru the rotor..

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
these002.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
YIKES!!! Disassemble the stub axle from the hub and disc first. All you want to be handling is the hub and rotor. Undo the...err... "UNDO"... remove the cotter pin (there's a hole in the hub for that to come out/in), remove hub nut, PAY ATTENTION to spacer/SHIMS that are in there... Then hub off and into parts washer. Let it soak in there for a while to remove the crud onna back side. Report back.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That assembly you been wrasslin' durn near outweighs ya woman!! SHEESH. You're tough. The hub nut MAY be the only thing holdin' it together now!! WATCH yer TOES!!!

EDIT: Photos are a GOOD THING!!!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ya it's heavy. But not heavy enough I can't heave the buggers out to the street pretty soon. I don't have PB Blaster but Chuck's probably got something similar.

I can't disassemble anything beyond getting those 4 nuts off. I can't FIND a cotter pin.

Dynamite.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Under/inside the "UNDO"!!! Spinner off, down in there is a castellated nut with a cotter pin in it. That is what's holding all together. Wheel bearings, a spacer and some shims in there. Didja read my PM?

EDIT: There's a "cover" just under the spinner with a threaded stud. That pulls out. Thread on it is 1/4" NF if memory serves. ViceGrips work in a pinch.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Any other day this'd be on FIRE... I'm dyin' here!!!