• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonneau Covers - that flappy thing - what is it?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OK, I've asked around... even to an installer, and to Robbins too (who didn't reply). Why do the later tonneau covers have that flap sewn into each side? Originals didn't have them. Has some new aerodynamic discovery been made in the last 30 years? The flap faces FORWARD and is double-thick fabric, and there's no opening there. It has no allowance for a bar of some sort. I don't think it's for wind stabilization because there is one on the driver's side (though perhaps that's for symmetry or creative driving). Is it an improvement on minimizing stretch or just a conversation piece? Is it part of some tuck-and-fold storage option? It's just a flap.

This is a photo I pulled off of Moss from a big Healey (100-4) but they look exactly the same for the Bugeye. Same funny flap (circled in pink).

Again, no response from Robbins (the maker). Confusion from an expert installer. Shrugs from others I'd thought would know. Inquiring minds want to know.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
When you undo the tonneau those tabs allow you to snap it straight down into the snaps that were (originally) on the ledge. Few of the snaps are there now since noone seems to remember what they were for.
BillM

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
I'll go one better. What is the cotter pin in the bottom hole on the tranny bell housing for? I assume the hole is to let the leaking oil escape, but why the pin?

Michael

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Billm said:
When you undo the tonneau those tabs allow you to snap it straight down into the snaps that were (originally) on the ledge. Few of the snaps are there now since noone seems to remember what they were for.
BillM

But but... I don't remember these on any early cars. No? So, if you HAD those snaps, you'd have some snaps installed on that flap so you could, um, do exactly what? I guess I'm not seeing this. :laugh:

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Michael, the jangling action of the cotter pin bouncing around as you drive is supposed to keep the hole from clogging up with a mixture of dirt and oil. Ford tractor transmissions also have 'em.

Bill, I am not following you either. :crazyeyes:
Charlie

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
OK- the holes (female snaps) in the tonneau flap hook to pins (male snaps)that are mounted behind the seats (very low down).
It keeps the tonneau from flapping when it it not hooked to the pins (male snaps) near the windshield.
BillM

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Charlie-

I wasn't giving the engineers credit for that level of sophistication, especially considering how oil and dirt collects in the rest of the car unimpeded...

Michael

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Glad to help, Michael. This comes up all the time on the tractor forum. The experts like to give the newbees a hard time about it.

Bill--thanks for the explanation. I never would have guessed. Those male snaps are long gone, man.
Charlie

JohnnyO

When you buy your tonneau from Moss the assortment of snaps,eyelets, and fasteners that come with it have the male and female snaps for the flaps and to be screwed on to the cockpit ledge behind the seats. You fold your tonneau under at that flap so that the flap is the leading edge of the tonneau and then snap it to cockpit ledge behind the seat. It keeps the tonneau taught over the tonneau bar.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I thought the extra flaps were there for when/if you have the tonneau snapped on the rear deck AND hanging behind the seats. If you zip and fold the leading edge under - the flaps now provide a new leading edge in the vertical position... Thats how I figured it.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Now that I ACTUALLY read all the replies before posting (woopsies) I think I just described what JohnnyO just described...But I'm not sure about the tonneau bar part. No tonneau bars on Bugeyes right?

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I use mine for attachment to the shelf behind the seats.
I used black snaps instead of silver for aesthetics.

Attachments

• 27461.jpg
    27461.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 226
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Gundy said:

Do you have a photo of this?

Relative to another post, I'm still not getting it. I have the Robbins "kit" of snaps and it sure doesn't have much else (and certainly no directions). There are no hole on the flap, but if one is to add some snaps, I'm not seeing where the posts would be and how this would be a advantageous thing to do. :crazy:

WAIT... maybe I can string the flap down through the transmission tunnel to the cotter pin! :cooler:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Boink said:
Gundy said:

Do you have a photo of this?

Relative to another post, I'm still not getting it. I have the Robbins "kit" of snaps and it sure doesn't have much else (and certainly no directions). There are no hole on the flap, but if one is to add some snaps, I'm not seeing where the posts would be and how this would be a advantageous thing to do. :crazy:

WAIT... maybe I can string the flap down through the transmission tunnel to the cotter pin! :cooler:

Too late for pics tonight.
I'll snap some details tomorrow for you.
I got the black snaps from a hobby shop.
I may have some left over.
I'll look when I take the pics.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks.

Jedi Trainee
The 'flappy things' were only used on 'Square bodies' with the 'Tonneau Bar' BE did not have them when they left factory in England even if that was a Option on the Cert.

JohnnyO

Had some spare time today so...let's see if this helps

How the snaps work..... the tonneau cover fully up

tonneaucover.jpg

Step one, unzip and fold back one side

step1.jpg

Step 2, fold forward at the flap

step2.jpg

Step 3, fold again forward and down, snap flap to cockpit ledge

step3.jpg

Tonneau snapped to cockpit ledge

snappedtocockpitledge.jpg

Drivers side done

onesidedone.jpg

Both sides done

bothsidesdone.jpg

bothsidesdown.jpg

I hope this helps, btw, this is on a 66 Midget

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wow!!!! Thanks a million. It's all clear to me now. Might do that myself. Sure beats a messy stuff-job (even if folded).

:bow: