• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Continue to seek out the advice of you experienced guys

LauraS

Still on the hunt.

Well, I certainly have learned a lot from all you guys. But I'm not quite there yet with a paint color/code decision for my 1969 Sprite. I started this thread a while ago but was away from my pc for most of the month of February and generally out of contact.

While searching the web to understand BMC paint evolution, color coles and formulas over the years, I find a morass of confusion. Completely different names for the same codes, same name with a #2 next to it and slightly different code, different code with same name....:confusion:

I wish to paint my car white with red striping. Seemed easy enough.

Originally, I figured OEW but there are so many variations and names/renames for this (general) color that my head is swimming. What I have learned from the Internet and viewing cars in person is that OEW is not OEW is not OEW - no standardization. I asked my painter to spray a sample and gave him the WT3 code but he came up empty handed - he could not find a formula (I found yours)
At any rate, many of the OEWs appeared grayed or yellowed and somewhat dingy. I wanted something vintagey but just a bit "cleaner" which led me to Wimbleton White (it's been mentioned here) of which I now have a sample. It's not bad but still a bit dingy.

So I found THESE photos (attached) of the perfect white! (at least on my monitor) However, the shop that once housed/sold this car long ago, could only guess at the paint - no color name just a Glasurit formula and he wasn't sure.
This is the formula the guy gave me but it leads to nowhere GLASURIT SA137.20. Ring any bells? Any suggestions on how to cross reference this color? My painter needs a lot of specifics in order to proceed. When I requested an OEW sample using the WT3 code he couldn't find it.

So...shot in the dark, but can you recommend a white that isn't appliance or artic or too bright, is still definitely 60's vintagey, but not so yellow or gray as OEW?
Snowberry and Maltese just seem to also be other names for OEW as far as I can tell.

Maybe there is a way to tweak the original OEW formula to make it the color of heavy cream - which is not yellow or brown but a rich saturated vintagey white. But I haven't a clue and the painter seems clueless as well.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks,
Laura
Louisville

Attachments

• perfectwhite.jpg
    perfectwhite.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 87
  • perfectwhite2.jpg
    perfectwhite2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 87
  • perfectwhite3.jpg
    perfectwhite3.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 90

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The only advice I have is to find a car with the color you like in person - not a picture. Surrounding colors will influence what you see in the car color, bright sunlight vs cloudy day will also have an effect. For example the pictures you posted show the car in a room with white walls & floor. If you were to see this same car on a paved parking lot or a green lawn the color of the car may seem a bit different... So try to find the color you like 'in the flesh' and if possible in different environments.
I spent many years with a red that I thought I would like based on pictures and the small color chip in a book - but I really didn't like the color once it was on the car. When it came time to repaint, I found a red I liked much better 'in the flesh' and after I painted the car, I still liked it.
Dave

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In your other post about colours I posted a pic if my red/oew 64 . My painter did the whole car in red first and I wasnt sure if it was what I wanted once it was on the car . It looked to modern , too bright etc . My painter basically said trust me and wait till the OEW white is on it will tone it down . He was dead right ,once the OEW went on it aged the red pefectly made it look much more correct vintage red .
What you see on a colour chip and what goes on the car will look different especially against other backgrounds .
Its like the age old debate about BRG and Healey Blue .
When the cars were originally painted at the factory there were so many different vaiations of the "same colour" as all the paints were mixed by different guys on different days etc etc .

IMHO . The bug eye pics you have the white is too white for that car but in person in outdoor light not against a white background it maybe better .

OP
L

LauraS

RED57
that's great advice, however, my decision time is limited (basically over) as the painter wants the car out of his shop. Don't really blame him. And I have been in a dozen car lots seeing firsthand tons of cars. Then you have to picture that color on YOUR car - I apparently have no imagination.
Just trying to avoid exactly what you did with your "first" red.
Also, painter put incorrect paint on one of the test paddles so I have little confidence that the other (Wimbleton White) is actually mixed correctly.

This may be a crazy idea but...
What if I start with the currently secured sample of Wimbleton White/OEW/Ivory/YouNameIt, and carefully in small measures, add a whiter white to it (in this case a 2012 Mercedes Arctic White), testing with each addition to see what color I've created.
Is it not this simple? - like would this screw up the formula completely and end up with some mushy color?, or possibly is this sort of thing done all the time?
I know wall paint fairly well, and have definitely customized color in my home, but I have no idea if the same holds true for car color.

OP
L

LauraS

Thanks HealeyNut.
I did see your post and on your big car your color combo looks great. I know I'm likely making this tougher than it needs to be (so I've been told!), but those colors just don't seem right on the Sprite. A Bugeye maybe, but not this simple little square body. I won't be painting this car again (famous last words?) at least, have no intention to so trying to get it right.
I think this will all become clearer after I go watch some college hoops. Texas vs. Baylor in a few minutes. Betting against the oddsmakers - Go Longhorns!

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Laura,

First, "Hook 'em!"

Second, I looked at new Alfa Romeos today. One of the 4Cs was Rosso Alfa, a very deep, kind of darkish red. The chips on-line look too dark, but in person, it was a very nice color, and IMHO would look great with Wimbledon White, OEW, etc (but, YMMV).

I referenced a link toward the end of your other posting where you can type in a name of a color, and it will generate the part numbers from various paint manufacturers, which can then determine the formulas for your painter.

Good luck. I know how it is to worry about stuff like this, but I'm sure once you've made the decision, you'll feel a lot better. The process can sometimes be agonizing! Jim