• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A starting handle

Kevin40

Freshman Member
There is a TR3A starting handle on e-bay. The owner states that the handhold piece on the end does not currently spin. Is it possible to fix? I'll probably never use it, but a starting handle would be interesting to have.

Thanks!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
It's probably just packed in with schmutz and rust. A little PB Blaster soaking in there should free it up. If you can get the handle for a few bucks, go for it.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My grip doesn't spin particularly well but that isn't really a problem as you will be holding it with an open palm and doing less than a half turn when you yank it.

You do want to verify it is for a TR3A as there were different configurations -- the difference being the distance from the thick part that fits into the guide to the end that engages the dog.

Here are 2 views that show the difference, I believe the second one is what you'll want (fortunately, it is the more common):

crank-short.JPG

crank-long.JPG

To my mind this is a 'must-have' if you have a crank hole in the rediator.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I woulden't worry too much about the handle not spinning. Use all the previous advice, it's all good. I would only ever use the crank as a last ditch starting effort, but it's a valuable tool for adjusting the valves and points.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Banjo has a point LAST DITCH EFFORT and if you have any piston size over 83mm call AAA before you get your arm broken(its too hard to dial after). The higher compression of the 86/87mm motor makes it a very different cat from the original.......
MD(mad dog)

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
MD's right... I have heard several horror stories about the starter handles and arm breaks... Anyway, I had one with my 1959, it was nice to line up the pistons with, advance the engine in small increments, and it's a really cool accessory. The broken arm thing is real, though, I lucked out with just a twisted shoulder...never used it again.

G

I believe I read somewhere that a relative of Henry Lelands had his jaw broken by a backfired crank handle, and he died a few days later of an infection from this injury. This supposedly triggered Leland to pursue the self starter, which was later developed by GM and first installed on a Cadillac in 1910 or 1911, something like that. Scary stuff operating a car back then, we take for granted how easy it is today.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the vernier adjustment on the distributor was to enable one to retard the timing a couple of degrees prior to crank starting (greatly reducing the chance of backfire) then return it to running spec once the engine started.

I routinely use the crank start, both in the case of starter problems and for the amusement of onlookers at car shows. This is an 83mm engine with unmodified head.

Well, if there is concern, it is easy enough to push-start these guys -- can even be done when you're all alone.

OP
K

Kevin40

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the advice on the starting handle. Now, thanks to you guys, if I buy one, I'm going to be terrified to use it ...broken arms, jaws, infection.... :smile: Maybe I should just push start the car when necessary......unless, maybe, you'd like to share some push starting horror stories.... :smile: "There was this guy.......wouldn't start....push started....sleeve caught on the.....dragged for blocks.....over a cliff.....ball of fire...."

Seriously, thanks for the info and insight.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The best one of those I've heard is an urban legnd. In the old Mercedes Benz owners manuals it listed a pop-starting method for cars equipped with automatic transmissions. It stated that getting the vehicle rolling at 30mph would generate enough hydraulic pressure inside the tranny to lock up the torque converter and then by dropping the car into drive you could effectivly turn over the engine. This is fact. I've personally read that in an old owners manual.However the story starts when a Benz owner on the side of the road is offered help by a passing motorist to which our man explains the procedure. the stranded Benz driver then hops in his car and waits for the other driver to give him a push to the 30mph. Wellll the other driver misunderstands his instructions and backs up to be able to get up to the 30 mph........ I think you can figure out the rest.
I believe Benz stopped printing he procedure for the overall danger involved in having a non-running car moving at 30mph. (no power steering, no power brakes, you know just like an LBC)

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So my coach in high school saw my TR3 and it brought back memories - said he had one in the late 60's and one night in the middle of winter it wouldn't start. His wife had driven to school after she got off work to watch the game so they had both cars.

He told her to just pull up behind him and give him a little push so he could jump start it and get home.

He heard her start up the car around the corner, saw the headlights in his mirror.....

And then he heard gravel flying as she got a running start for the push....

He said she wouldn't unlock the door or roll down the window after he extracted himself from the '3 .... she just stared straight ahead... crying....

Totalled the TR3 and he bought a VW..

...edit:

**** while I'm posting this someone else related the same urban legend **** too funny....

except my coach told me this story as his own 20 years ago.... hmmmm musta been pulling my leg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Back in the 60's with my 1st car (a Ford Anglia Super) the ring gear stripped because I kept starting it with a loose starter motor.
I developed a coping strategy that revolved around timing the last call in the pub I frequented whereby I would lie in wait for the patrons to stumble out and get them to push start me.
You can imagine what a bunch of drunks were like pushing an Anglia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but of more importance to myself and the landlord was that the guys started leaving early to avoid the chore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif