• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR Transmission Conversion

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've seen 5-speed transmission conversions for the Spitfire, and might be interested in one for the TR3 that I'm currently restoring. Is there anyone out there making a kit or bell housing adaptor for the TR's??

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the link... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Has anybody out there done this conversion??

G

I see a guy on Ebay all the time selling those Toyota Celica 5 speed conversions for Triumphs. I have no idea how well they work though.

PeterK

Yoda
I have the kit from HVDA. Herman is a perfectionist, does a tremendous engineering job and will bend over backwards to help you get it working. Quality is high-end throughout!

I picked up a Supra 5-speed from ebay for $200 for my conversion. Mine is installed but I haven't driven it since my car is not ready but I did drive a friends and it looked no different from the stock TR and drives a lot smoother.

The clutch is lighter and uses a hydraulic T/O bearing that eliminates the TR slave cyl. The new T/O requires only about a 1/2" press of the pedal to disengage the pedal so you need to put a pedal stop on the floor using a bolt and double nuts to prevent you from pushing it in too far. The five speed it where it's great on the highways. The Toyota transmission is Japanese smooth, has similar gearing in 1-4 but you can get a couple of different model trannies with slightly different ratios.

Not cheap, somewhat less than a rebuilt TR overdrive(around $1200 complete with everything except the tranny), but much less complicated to install and maintain, and retains the original look.

PeterK

71tr

Jedi Warrior
I wrote Herman regarding this conversion and he provided pictures and a pdf file summarizing the kit. His kit appears to be everything you need to mate a toyota (celica, supra, pickup) gearbox to the Triumph motor. It is not cheap, $1,495 for the kit alone, you still need to source a gearbox at additional cost.

Attachments

• 128474-HvdAflyer0305PDF.pdf
    182.5 KB · Views: 981

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Webb,

"6 Speed, if cost efficient, would be even better."

Sorry, I have to disagree, unless you like changing gear for the fun of it. The Triumph has high torque and does not need a multiple gear set up. Personally I prefer the standard Triumph 4 speed and overdrive, which gives relaxed cruising in O\D fourth and a great overtaking range (about 50 to 100 mph) using third and overdrive third (almost instantaneous upshift with your foot hard on the throttle). No five or six speed can match it.

Alec

PeterK

Yoda
Herman's kit is pricey but it includes a new hydraulic t/o bearing, pilot bearing, clutch pressure plate and disk, alignment tools , tranny mounts, etc. So if you add up the parts cost, it's a really good deal. The ratios in 1st-4th for the Toyota tranny are nearly identical so the performance is the same torqueyness as the TR and you get the overdrive 5th gear. That's what sold me. nfi PeterK

71tr

Jedi Warrior
I tend to agree PeterK. I have a standard six gearbox and have been purchasing bits and pieces to add an overdrive. Add to this a basic rebuild while everything is off the car and I'll be upwards of $1k-$1.5k. As much as I'd like to stay original the Toyota gearbox is virtually bombproof and add to that a new hydrualic clutch, thus aleviating future clutch fork/bearing woes, and this system seems like a very good alternative.

azdon

Freshman Member
I Installed the HVDA five speed conversion in my TR3A. It shifts great and is a pleasure to drive on the freeways.I got the trans from a junk yard for $45.00