• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Royal Purple oil filter

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have been using K&N filters on all my cars for the last several years and I think it is a superior product. However a while back I bought a Royal Purple filter and installed it on the MK IV and after having raced it at Sebring a few weeks back yesterday I did an oil change.

Whenever I change oil--which is after every event with my race cars--I naturally also change oil filters and I take the opportunity to cut open the filter and examine the media for any shiny stuff (bearing coatings) or small metal bits. Like the K&N the RP has the usual corrugated cardboard media but it is reinforced with some really tough fiberglass mesh screening material.

I doubt the screen provides better filtration as it is quite coarse but for sure it would give some additional burst strength and I bring it to everyone's attention if only because it is noticeably different. I am sometimes a sucker for what I will term "sizzle" but RP goes out of its way to claim that its products are the best out there--and charge accordingly. However I have had very good luck with its racing oils in my race engines and perhaps this screening is more than just window dressing.

Whatever, I was impressed. Just sayin'....

Love Royal Purple products. Used profusely in my track 03 MINI S. Used in street F150 and will use in 2011 Countryman after warranty expires, like next change.

Michael -

I've run an Oberg oil filter for on my big Healey for years. They're by far the best for keeping a close eye on the internal wear of your engine.
https://store.obergfilters.com/oil.html The cleanable filter screen can be used over and over.

Dougie--

I have thought about adding one and they definitely look like a worthwhile item.

What schedule do you follow for changing your engine oil and filter?

Well depending on the time on the motor, my freshened motors get an oil change after every race, for the first 3 races weekends. After that, I monitor the filter and if it remains clean, I'll run the oil (Redline Race 40WT) all season, 4-5 race weekends.

Dougie--

That sounds like a sensible approach, though there are issues beyond debris such as molecule shear (which is, I know, less of a consideration with synthetic oil) and fuel dilution.

Do you use a spin-on filter in addition to the Oberg and if so is it before or after it?

I just run the Oberg filter. I don't rev the big six much over 6K, and with an oil cooler installed, the oil clearity remains very good.