• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Plug wires 101 - need help

TexasTD

Freshman Member
Well, I thought I knew how to assemble a spark plug wire until last night. I got a set for the '52 TD from Moss Motors and began the assembly. The end that screws into the distributor cap seems pretty easy. I stripped the insulation back about 1/8", bent the end over and soldered the brass washer on the end. The boot that goes over the spark plug has a hole with a set screw to secure to the center conductor (I'm assuming). Well, once I hooked it up (only doing 1 wire for now to make sure I do it correctly), it does not fire. However, when I pull the boot off of the plug, I can see the spark jump to the plug and it fires. Once I push the boot over the plug, we're amiss again.

This is my dad's TD and I'm tinkering on it so he can sell it. Kinda hard to let someone test drive it with only 3 jugs firing.

Any suggesstions?

Thanks,
Eric

Bugeye58

Yoda
Put some lube on the wire, slide the boot back and connect the wire to the plug, and see what it acts like. If everything is good, slide the boot back down. Sometimes when you hook the wire up with the boot down, you don't actually connect the wire to the plug.
Jeff

OP
T

TexasTD

Freshman Member
Well, after much trial and error, swapping wires and finally swapping plugs, looks like I had a bad plug. I pulled the wire off the plug and it arced real strong and the cylinder fired. The closer to the plug I got with the wire, the lower the force of the spark. So, I'm off to AutoZone for a new plug. Hope it works...

Thanks for the reply.

Eric

OP
T

TexasTD

Freshman Member
Jeff,

Yep, Champions. Ran to the local parts store last night and picked up the last one they had. I looked in the locker box next to the battery this morning and found 4 new ones (Champion) that my dad had forgotten about. Is there something I need to know about Champions before I replace the other three? (Feel this one coming....)

Eric

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Eric,
I'm obviously not Jeff but I'll throw in a comment anyway.
Champion is the only plug that I have consistently had trouble with in 50 years of car tinkering. I don't know why, they look just like other plugs, although for some reason they seem to have narrower heat range tolerances.

The classic was when I had an engine misfiring & replaced the plugs with Champion. It didn't help anything. I eventually replaced the coil, points, plug wires, & my underwear, but it still misfired. In desperation, I took it to a friend's shop that had an ignition scope. He informed me that I had a couple of bad plugs. I asked how can that be, the plugs are brand new? He said it happens quite often with Champion plugs. He offered to put in a set of NGK's & not charge me if it didn't fix the problem. I had to pay for the new plugs.

In encounters with various other cars & motorcycles over the years, I have had more trouble with Champion plugs than all of the rest of brands put together. (I did have a lot of trouble with a set of Holley plugs once. Maybe made by Champion?)

I have never had a problem with NGK plugs & use them exclusively. Your experience may vary.
D

Bugeye58

Yoda
Dave pretty well put any comments I would have in a nutshell. Thanks, Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
In my 38 years of LBC ownership, I've found the NGK plugs to be the way to go.
Jeff