• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cylinder compression Hillman super minx

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi out the, I have a 1966 Hillman super minx and the cylinder compression is low on 2 cylinder would Ametech engine Restore help improve the cylinder compression or should I leave well alone.
Thanks for looking Walter from Walton Liverpool Merseyside England

Attachments

• 20230623_134359.jpg
    20230623_134359.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 20230801_121308.jpg
    20230801_121308.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230801_121205.jpg
    20230801_121205.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I moved your post to "Other British Cars". You had posted it in our Member Articles forums which, as the name implies, is for articles (minimum 500 word articles, like you might read in a magazine). Cheers, Basil

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Walter - welcome to BCF.

When I first got my 1957 Morris Minor, two cylinders had much lower compression than the other two. After some reading here and elsewhere, I decided to use a 50/50 mixture of acetone and power steering fluid, and drip it down into each cylinder.

Let stand overnight, then did the compression tests again. This time all four cylinders were within 4 psi of each other. I figure that the 50/50 mixture seeped down and loosed the piston rings, which evidently fixed the compression problem.

There are other products, such as Seafoam, which will do the same thing. But there are several other problems which lower cylinder compression, beside stuck piston rings!

Hope this helps.
Tom M.

OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Tom M, thanks for the information. I've been toying with the idea of using different engine restorer products for awhile. I know a mechanic that only does classic car restoration he says that all the products work to some degree but it's not the answer, in fact he says just leave it alone, it's an old car and is bound to have problems like low compression. He says it goes fast enough and doesn't smoke so just enjoy it for what it is !! He says just keep the oil and water topped up and forget about it until it becomes a real problem. Enjoy is the word.
I think I'll take his advice but thought I'd ask the BCF.
Thanks again Walter from Liverpool Merseyside England

Attachments

• 20230623_134533.jpg
    20230623_134533.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Enjoy is the word.

That's a great way to look at it, and is the reason most of us are into classic cars.

As I often see here on BCF - Drive it like you stole it!

Tom M.
PS - I like that "shift pattern" badge on your front bumper. Never seen one of those before.

OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Tom M, some pictures for you. The badges came from Gumtree plus badge bar all the way from Scotland.
Built my own speakers cabinet and fitted 30 years old radio. So it runs OK πŸ‘Œ, so happy days.
Walter from Walton Liverpool Merseyside England

Attachments

• 20231220_115515.jpg
    20231220_115515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20231220_115518.jpg
    20231220_115518.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20231220_115522.jpg
    20231220_115522.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20231220_115525.jpg
    20231220_115525.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20231220_115532.jpg
    20231220_115532.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231220_115535.jpg
    20231220_115535.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231220_115821.jpg
    20231220_115821.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231220_115603.jpg
    20231220_115603.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20231220_115831.jpg
    20231220_115831.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
I moved your post to "Other British Cars". You had posted it in our Member Articles forums which, as the name implies, is for articles (minimum 500 word articles, like you might read in a magazine). Cheers, Basil
Thanks Basil for moving my post. Walter from Walton Liverpool Merseyside England

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Walter - that "shift pattern" badge shows the Dowty Motor Club. Here's some history for you:

DME-31-438x658.jpeg

And some background on the Dowty Group, which has quite an interesting history, and was very well respected in the area.

Tom M.
PS - how are the Walton Wanderers doing?

OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Walter - that "shift pattern" badge shows the Dowty Motor Club. Here's some history for you:

DME-31-438x658.jpeg

And some background on the Dowty Group, which has quite an interesting history, and was very well respected in the area.

Tom M.
PS - how are the Walton Wanderers doing?
Walton Wanderers are based in Surrey I'm in Liverpool. Thanks have a great Christmas Walter

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Walton Wanderers are based in Surrey I'm in Liverpool. Thanks have a great Christmas Walter
My wife's parents came from Liverpool and their ashes are spread in the Mersey. My wife and her sister literally to 'the ferry cross the Mersey' and it stopped part way, the captain made an announcement, accompanied them to the spot. Very meaningful for literally the fare for the ferry. :cheers:

OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
My wife's parents came from Liverpool and their ashes are spread in the Mersey. My wife and her sister literally to 'the ferry cross the Mersey' and it stopped part way, the captain made an announcement, accompanied them to the spot. Very meaningful for literally the fare for the ferry. :cheers:
Sounds like they had a good send off
Have a great Christmas Walter

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hello and welcome Walter from Walton. Your Hillman certainly is a lovely little minx, isn't it?

I would tend to agree with your mechanic friend. If it isn't smoking or running poorly then leave it as is.

OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello and welcome Walter from Walton. Your Hillman certainly is a lovely little minx, isn't it?

I would tend to agree with your mechanic friend. If it isn't smoking or running poorly then leave it as is.
Thanks for your interest and compliment on my Hillman. Yes leave well alone, if it's not broken down try to fix it, an old adage but very true!! Happy Christmas and New Year Walter

OP
W

Westhoff

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for your interest and compliment on my Hillman. Yes leave well alone, if it's not broken down try to fix it, an old adage but very true!! Happy Christmas and New Year Walter
If it's not broken don't try to mend it, is what I meant to say. Walter from Walton

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One thing not mentioned is how low? If it is a few pounds low then sure, additive and drive it like you stole it. (I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer is it is good for 5-lbs of poil pressure) If it is a lot lower a head gasket is the way to go - and while I am not familiar with Hillman's it should be an easy fix. Pop the head, confirm straightness, replace the gasket, torque new bolts and Bob's your uncle.