• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

30 years of not starting engine,should I try it?

Re: 30 years of not starting engine,should I try i

Depends on how serious you are about getting it running.
Drain and clean tank, fresh gas, pump out the lines......it's worked for me, quite well.

I recall one that sat for well over 30 years (4-cylinder, US made) that took me 20 minutes to have running.

tdskip said:
poolboy said:
I have an engine, as Safari knows, that runs off a 1 gallon gas can and an outboard motor priming bulb to get gas to the fuel pump.

Two questions Ken;

1) does the person running next to the car get tired easily?

2) how fast can you drive before your lose your runner?

:whistle:
It is not bad until he decides it is time to go to Road Atlanta.

Keep in mind that the clutch disk is more then like frozen to the pressure plate and fly wheel. So take care when you start the beast...

Also, check the transmission fluid, as even in neutral, the transmission internals will be rotating once you get the engine running.

I don't think it's a question of whether it can be made to run - as everyone's pointing out that's not too hard. The question is will it cause damage. The answer is "possibly" unless there's new oil in a clean crankcase and it's been circulated around before firing (adding load). Also, who knows what's gone to ground after 30 years. Smell something burning? If you go too quick with a "do or die" attitude you're more likely to have a problem.

SkinnedKnuckles said:
I don't think it's a question of whether it can be made to run - as everyone's pointing out that's not too hard. The question is will it cause damage. The answer is "possibly" unless there's new oil in a clean crankcase and it's been circulated around before firing (adding load). Also, who knows what's gone to ground after 30 years. Smell something burning? If you go too quick with a "do or die" attitude you're more likely to have a problem.

I think that's what I said.
BTAIM, personal experience is it should run as good or close to it as it did last time it ran.
Water in the cooling system, several full heat and cool cycles to loosen any rings stuck in piston grooves, any valve stem seals may be toast, but that shouldn't affect running.

Last one I did this to, a couple of years ago, was a 1941 Lincoln V-12, this guy had it 20 years, had sat for Lord Only knows how many decades prior to that.

And that has several more moving parts than your 4-bangers do.
Or six-bangers.
Or maybe 8-bangers, but close, as a V-12 is a flathead, so no pushrods or rockers.

One thing you can do is take the spark plugs out and fill the engine with oil right( a couple of gallons) up to the spark plugs or basically the top of the pistons and just let it sit for a couple of weeks. This will oil everything in the engine, cam, crank, chain, rings ect. You should turn it over by hand to move things after awhile. Then when you feel comfortable that it is oiled well, drain that oil out and put the normal 5 quarts in. I would probably still prime the pump. Then try and start it.
Steve

I have 24 years of not runniing, I changed the oil & filter. (picked that up from Dave @ Sports car services in Westminster, do you guys know him?) Anyway... I have kept the cylinders lubed and have hand spun the engine faithfully to keep it "Freed up".
The real test is this spring when the temps are more better. There is a mechanic at the local Rover garage who has a GT, and will look it over befor I try to start it.