• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN Question

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The car i'm looking at buying has a vin# HAN9L67536 according to the owner, and he's advertising it as a Bugeye. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's VIN doesn't sound right. Its the blue one I had in my other post "Opinions on this car".

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the HAN9.. s/n is for a MKIV Sprite because that's what mine is.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Correct me if I am wrong, but all Bugeyes started the VIN with "AN5L", not "HAN.....". and if there were only 48,900 bugeyes made, then being a sequential VIN, the number should only go up that far, not up to 67536.
Best I can tell, that's the VIN tag off a 67-68 on a 59-60 shell. Is that accurate?

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That VIN is from a car built around April, 1967. Is the BAE tag in the right hand hinge pillar and the other AN5 tag in the left hand pillar? The left hand one was never recorded and does not correspond to the VIN, but it does indicate Bugeye.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know about the door tag, but it is a bugeye. But having a VIN tag from a 1967 is a bit of a problem

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sorry I am all out of Bugeye VIN plates. However that is not a 17 in length number and therefore can not be computerized by the state license folks, so just use what you got, no one but you will know.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Except the next owner might care. Also, edd should make sure that it has not been pieced together....although it has had significant mods to it. One would hope the tub is all from one car. I think it takes more investigation.
Scott in CA

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I called him on it just now, turns out its titled as a 1967, pieced together out of two cars. So I am bailing on it. Nice car, but the history sketches me out. So now I need a car. If anyone has leads on a Bugeye or MKII, I'm in the market :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Something funny there then. Last thing you need is DMV issues

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
He got a little timid when I asked about it, said it told me about it, which I don't recall that happening. But it is registered as a 1967. He also bought it from a fellow that did the piecing together and had no idea on what was done.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
00o0o_hS7hPGTrK54_600x450.jpg

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
called on it, sounds okay, some rust in the quarter, rattle canned engine bay, needs some good freshening up. But sounds solid. I might check it out next weekend.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Check bugeyeparts.com and see if anything new is posted there. Another source as there are a few BE's posted there.

D

Deleted member 8987

67 would fall under some CARB emissions...and issues with changed powerplants, right?
Good thing to bail.
As far as VIN numbers being 17 characters long....my Jag is six.
You think THAT didn't cause some migraines at the DMV folks headquarters?
Had to take them outside, with the book, that showed "where" the numbers were stamped...and the VIN tag...and the existing title from this state from 1982.....and they finally hand-entered the number.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
'68 was the start of emissions equipment. CA might be '67. All other states in '68.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Calif emission stuff starts at 1976, prior to that they don't care/inspect.
We DID have to start putting NOX stuff on '65 and newer back in the 70's but now they don't even look
BillM

D

Deleted member 8987

1965 was emissions in California. I was there.
They tried the back-dating requirements on older cars (I recall a Carter box on the inner wing of a 1950 Ford Fordor, and a PCV), BIG court case, Califreakingfornia got slapped back.
AT LEAST first PCV's in 1966, maybe earlier, like 65, as I remember seeing them (to wit: 1965 Fairlane with a 260....there is a funny shaped triangular bit on top of the inlet behind carb....leftover from when they were a cavity filled with coarse steel wool, plate bolted on top with a PCV valve screwed on).
Early on, hot air inlet for carbs, dual advance.....
Good thing they quit looking. They USED to make sure you were "stock".
ANY emissions controlled vehicle.....and I know this from watching it happen..change anything, $10K fine to the shop OR owner, and you HAD to put it back.
1980 Chevy, 350, blown engine, order out a long block, put it in.....unfortunately, casting numbers said 1970....$10K and put it right.
Dave

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All modern VINs are 17 char long, modern is since computers i am told. anything other than 17 will not look up in state systems I am told.