• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN Number question

Sledgehammer

I've purchased from a good friend his 1964 MGB. He bought it in 1980, then parked it in an airplane hangar in 1988 and I took ownership last winter. He gave me the title and I've had it transferred to me. His title was in Washington State and now I've titled it in Texas. Problem is, the numbers don't seem to match. There is a number on the right inside fender simply "27836", no "GHN3" etc. I think there is a number also on the dash but it's covered with a leather covering. I can feel something there maybe and some books I have mention a VIN there. Would the number on the fender just be a chassis number but the number on the dash be the VIN? I have no reason to doubt my good friend. He mentioned the number problem to me. He wondered about the situation too. Probably a PO, prior to my friend, covered the dash. What's your opinions on this guys?

G

I don't know about the early ones but the later models do have the VIN on the center of the dash

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The VIN number didnt appear on the dash until 68/69.
If you have a Moss catalog handy there is page showing production data and the location of the chassis id numbers. In the current catalog, Fall Issue 2-0310, it starts at page 46.
On the right fender, in front of the radiator diaphram, there should be a neat little black etched plate reading "MG Made in England" etc. with the Car Number GHN/L/27xxx stamped on it. See page 75 of the same catalog.
There was also a simple metal tag welded to the left fender, across from the air cleaners, with the body number stamped on it. The body number is close to, but does not exactly match the car number. The info in the Moss catalog says that "in some cases (it is located) in front of the radiator diaphram".

OP
S

Sledgehammer

I don't have the ID plate forward of the radiator as shown in the Moss catalog, pg 46. Mine is behind the radiator, right side and it is simply a small metal strip with "27836" on it. I'm thinking it is a body number. Is there a list anywhere that compares car/body/engine id's?

[ 10-22-2003: Message edited by: Sledgehammer ]</p>

MGAdams

My car had all metal plates stripped off. Someone told me where the hand punched VIN number was, but you likely need the engine out to find it. Right side engine bay, interior facing frame rail, rear-lower sub-frame stiffener triangle. Hand-stamped GHN3L on one line and 19XX (your number)below. On early B's this is the VIN and car number. The simple numbered plate is the pressed steel body number. I have confirmed this on about three other early B's with an inspection magnet and a flashlight, but you can't read the numbers without a little sanding.
(my reference to right side is as I sit in the car facing forward)
MGAdams

[ 10-22-2003: Message edited by: MGAdams ]</p>

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On my 69 I have also located the car number (digits only, no GH4 suffix)in the floor in front of the passenger seat, about even with the floor mat press studs. I first noticed it from the underside, as the numbers could be faintly seen in reverse.