• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 clutch line Q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder on the '6, as it was leaking. I ordered a new line from the master cylinder to the coupler/nylon line to the slave cylinder. Lining up the old line to the new, I was surprised at the difference:

IMG_0986.jpg

The new line has the big bend in it. Is a brake line bender in my future, or is there something obvious I'm missing here? Loose fitting of the new line has the bottom/coupler side sticking way out, along the steering shaft. Anyone got any pix to help me out, or other advice? The Bentley manual also mentions a clip to hold the line, my poor car didn't have one.....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin,

I found this old picture before my engine was done, but after I replaced the clutch hydraulics and switched to silicone. My new line from the master to the braided line looks a lot more like your new one than the old one.

Attachments

• 15319.jpg
    15319.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 352
OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
tdskip said:
Weird - is everything else in a stock location Kevin?
Looking at Paul's very helpful picture, yes.... I found the hole where the clip/screw go, which I didn't realize was there.
If anyone has a picture of how the clutch line goes down alongside the master cylinder and around the brake lines of the servo, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I'll wait till our club's Saturday breakfast meeting, and take a bunch o' pix. I'm still thinking line bender may come in handy, though......

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin,

I hope that this may help. Pre-engine again, but with usual leaks.

Attachments

• 15337.jpg
    15337.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 312

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Kevin
found a couple pics of my 6 that may help

Attachments

• 15338.jpg
    15338.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 15339.jpg
    15339.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 309

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's a better view Casey and the one that was asked for. Some knucklehead just before you, posted a picture of the bottom of his car, rather than the top.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
S'ok Paul.I need the excercise. Had my hand operated on for carpal tunnel syndrome a week and a half ago.I use the mouse to keep the fingers mobile,along with a little of this :thirsty:

Attachments

• 15340.jpg
    15340.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 310

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Casey,

Even if my hand was operated on, I still read it with my eyes and posted the wrong picture.

Read question twice, post correct answer once. New mantra for internet forums.

Ugh.....glad that wasn't me. That looks like it could be sore for a while if not taken care of properly. Be careful with grease and dirt.

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks, fellas, for the <span style="font-style: italic">hand</span>, those will be a great help. I printed Paul's first picture to bring out to the car, now I'll do Casey's as well... Thanks again!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Opa said:
S'ok Paul.I need the excercise. Had my hand operated on for carpal tunnel syndrome a week and a half ago.I use the mouse to keep the fingers mobile,along with a little of this :thirsty:

Yikes! Hope you are doing OK Casey.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
td skip
Doing just fine thanks.Other hand is getting done as well in a couple weeks.At least I've got feeling back in my fingers.Putting the shock reenforcements in the other day was a little touchy. :eeek:

R

RonMacPherson

Hope they are able to do it the new way..

They were gonna do my left hand, which was causing problems back around 90. Arthscopic procedure was fairly new here in Hawaii at that time. Got a doc who was gonna do it, as he had a number of operations under his belt. When he got in he couldn't do it the modern way, so did it the old fashioned way. All of his previous had been on little oriental ladies and their bodies are a wee bit smaller than mine. So instead of being out of action for 3 days I was out for 3 weeks...

Opa

Jedi Trainee
I was told arthoscopic was not an option in my case either.I was told that was used mainly on women office worker men.Guess us guys that get our hands dirty get the slice job.I had knee job done arthoscopically and that was quite successful.
I just noticed your on Oahu? Mrs and I,along with a dozen others went to Waikiki for Christmas and New Years from Dec 18 - Jan.9. Sat thru the "big blackout"

R

RonMacPherson

Hope you had a good trip, inspite of the candle burning time.

Our illustrious electric company suffers a major meltdown appx every two years. This like the last one was an "act of God". And nothing the utility could have done would have prevented it, according to the state regulators. My biggest peeve is why does it take them two to three days to get everyone back under power....
Ah Well, our Democratic power structure here, is what it is...

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks to Paul and Casey for the pix.... I printed them out and, with a little massaging with a brake line bender, buttoned it up. No drips, no leaks, no errors.

What is a little perplexing is using the smallish springs I got from TRF. The car as I got it had no springs on either the brake or clutch pedals. I put in new ones, and now it seems the spring pulls the clutch pedal back enough towards the driver, to pull the push rod and rubber dust cover out and away from the plunger in the Master Cylinder. For now, I'm using it w/o the spring, but I wonder if I put too much Red lube inside the dust cover, and it just slips away from the end of the Master Cylinder. Except for the dust cover, it seems there's nothing else to hold the push rod against the plunger.....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There should be a metal washer and a circlip, in the mouth of the MC, to trap the pushrod against the piston.