• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

heater box mystery studs

John Loftus

Darth Vader
o.k. hope this gives you a chuckle and hope some of you can relate .. I rebuilt the heater box for the BJ7. Total strip down, replated the hardware, repainted and refurbished everything. Then I put it back together. There are 4 holes on the bottom panel with two of the holes having approx. 1/4" dia. machine screws installed from the inside. This leaves these 2 studs sticking down (see picture below). I couldn't remember what attached to the studs so I starting going through books, catalogs, restoration photos and was stumped. Then it occurred to me that a P.O. must have installed a stereo using these studs. So, if I'm right, I need to pull the bottom cover, weld up the holes and repaint. Not a big deal but feel kinda stupid that I didn't figure this out before hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif Cheers, John
bottom_bolts.jpg

Well John if that had of been one of my cars those are the fasteners for the power amp support bracket to take the load off the console.---Keoke

Sorry John, but I think you figured it out for yourself! Nice job though, the box looks better than new.
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

That box is perfect, wish I could do such work.

What a great job on the box..... i'm doing mine now, and am jealous of the paint work!

Can anyone comment on the proper number of spring clips holding the "heater box sandwich" together, I have heard three rather than four..... or have I lost a clip?

-Andrew1-

Andrew,

Mine came with 4 clips and seems to be the minimum to hold the assembly together. For the paint I used a high build two part primer and sanded to level everything out. Then several coats of gloss black with sanding inbetween. Kinda crazy when you know it's just going under the dash, practically out of sight but I have a hard time not fussing over the details. Here's another view ...

heaterbox.jpg

Oh defroster rubber L's. Are those orginial or did you find a source? Or is a parts car the only answer?

I have one hard one so want two but really need one.

The rubber elbows on mine were in good shape and sprayed them with 303 aerospace protectant which helps the rubber stay soft. They are listed as avail. in the Moss catalog (pg 96) and there is a supplier for complete heaters and parts in the U.K. https://www.mgcars.org.uk/ah/heater.htm
They are selling parts on ebay all the time under the name ashleyhintonmgparts2002 and can be reached via email at ah@mgcars.org.uk

Andrew,I just noticed they show only 3 clips on their 3000 heater and Moss and the Service Parts List says 3 clips also. I've seen pictures of heaters with 4 clips but it appears that 3 may be the way yours came.

Cheers,
John

[ QUOTE ]

Well John if that had of been one of my cars those are the fasteners for the power amp support bracket to take the load off the console.---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif .. were you the P.O. of my Healey??
That would explain the huge bazooka sub woofer in the trunk?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Cheers,
John

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

TRUNK! John, whats that??--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Keoke -- That was that boxy looking thing in the boot with the body inside!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
John

[ QUOTE ]
Hi John,
My heater originally came with 4 spring clips setup the same way you have yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but I bet yours didn't come with those nifty extra holes and studs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Keoke -- That was that boxy looking thing in the boot with the body inside!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
John

[/ QUOTE ]

OH! That was Gregs car John. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope the FBI looks in the photo gallery at Healey trunk space before they send crews over to John and my house. I was researching Meth labs for the movie The Salton Sea. We had to convert a mobile home into a lab, so I bought a couple books on the subject via the Internet with my credit card. The following day, when I got home, there was a van with a camper top parked across the street from my house. I had never seen it before, so I got in the habit of waving at it every time I came home or went out. Three days later, it was gone. Could have just been coincidence, but I amuse myself thinking the DEA was camped out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Greg, thats why I always change clothes before I venture into your Hood.---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ahhh, they say comedy is all in the timing. That one been simmerin on that back burner for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the long delay in responding .. I've been out of the country. No I haven't done anything with the backrest yet. I do have the plans, photos and upholstry but the interior is going to be one of the last details on the restoration.

Cheers,
John