• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF a useful resource, appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please support the forum with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) annual upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine bracket position [ angle direction]

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello @ all,
today saturday I would like to complete my recently painted engine. I thought it should be an easy process....
The part 76 please look at this side :

https://www.limora.com/index/lang-1/lkz-1...oesserungtop=30

One of this directly on the engine mounted bracket (part76) is marked with LH.
Ok, I think Left Hand easy to understand as well for not natural english speakers :smile: .
Normally if the automotive industry talk about left or right, it means in driving direction.
If I srew on the bracket with the LH marking to the LH side of the engine (shown in driving direction)the top of the bracket fall some degrees to the direction of the front of the car. :confuse:
Is this right ? Because the engine support bracket on the frame fall some degrees to the direction of the boot.
In my opinion the engine brackets and the frame engine supports have to stay paralell. Is that true ?
Or is the different direction of the engine bracket to balance the angle of the engine support on the frame ?

Thanks for details in advance.

Michel- who post from rainy Germany

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello guys,

it`s a pity that nobody have an answer for me.
Is my english really so bad.. :smile: Ok, all yoking apart. Is it possible to understand what I asked ?
I think also to mount a bracket should be easy,but I don`t know that the brackets are have an inclination.
I check all manuals and online part supplier catalogs, but I did not found an advice about the left/right bracket.
( I have an 1960/BT7)

In the following post:(on the picture dougie with his assistant)
I think I can see that the top of the engine bracket fall into the direction of the front of the car. Thats right?
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/612457/Engine_Weight#Post612457

Greetings all around the world.

Bye Michel-who clean today his garage

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I believe the mounts to the chassis and the block should both be near enough perpendicular to the ground

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello zblu,
thank you for input. The top of the support bracket on the frame is pointing definitly 2 degrees in the direction to the boot.
The engine brackets (this is my challenge)has also some degrees, but in which direction ? (I can choose the left and right part)

Thanks

Michel-who finished today the garage cleaning

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Michel,
I have a hunch your problem stems from a poorly made vibration damper (number 69 in your Limora diagram). If you put two straight edges against the bolts (one straight edge per side), you'd find that the bolts are not parallel. I had a devil of a time lining my engine mounts up with the frame. I had to keep the engine suspended slightly about the frame in order to get the bolts started ( the bolts that hold the engine mount to the frame).

Greg-Who always enjoys Michel's tag lines.

Attachments

• 18760.jpg
    18760.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 256

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
germanmichel said:
Hello zblu,
thank you for input. The top of the support bracket on the frame is pointing definitly 2 degrees in the direction to the boot.
The engine brackets (this is my challenge)has also some degrees, but in which direction ? (I can choose the left and right part)

Thanks

Michel-who finished today the garage cleaning
Michel,
See if this link about engine mounts helps you.https:
//www.healey6.com/Technical/Engine%20Mounts.pdf
Patrick

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello and :savewave: @ the "sunny" boys..

thank you all for your welcome replys. Sorry for my late reply, it was busy in the company. Greg I hope I did not make to much work for you to preparing the sketch. But this is fortunately not my challenge. Yes, the elastic parts are poorly made,but not so much poorly...
I don`t trust to repeat my easy question.
Look at the picture. The mount is a LH bracket and the top of the bracket shows to the direction of the front of the car. A picture says more than much words... I take it on the left side in driving direction, so I think it is the correct position. But I did not understand why the engine support mounts one the chassis frame show to the boot direction...

DSC_0032.jpg

Patrick thank you also for your link.I know this site, I don`t know where this guys have stolen the time to prepare this extensive site :thumbsup: But in this case, I think the writer of the article forget, that the weight of the engine ( in assembled situation)push one side of the elastic part in the correct position. So imho he did not need slotted holes.....

Bye michel- who like the motivating board members. :savewave:from cloudy germany

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well if you have the brackets handed and assembled correctly. Then you leave all the fasteners that can be tightentened from the outside loose . Suspend the engine so that all the attaching fasteners can be started and tightened down lowering the engine as you go. Tthe vertical brackets will generally be distorted and if under load you will not be able to install all the fasteners OK. Fwiw--Keoke :laugh:

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Keoke, also a sunny guy :cooler:
thank you for information.
....six ours back... are you a night animal ? :crazy:

Bye michel- Who would like to visit in his retirement the Route 66