• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A One of you guys must save this TR2

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I ran across this on ebay and I know that some of you tr2-3 guys are always looking for projects.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-TR-2-/250760104700

It looks like a car that would be a good start to a restoration.

I have nothing to do with the car but thought I would let you guys know about it.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
What a great car! Despite the nonoriginal color, I'd be tempted to leave it as-is, since the color change looks to have been rather thorough (trunk inside seems to have been nicely painted). I do wonder, though, what happened to the presumably original hardtop, as the fittings for same are still present on the rear tonneau cappings?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Was she hit in the rear? Something on the inside trunk picture driver side looks off. May just be me :smile:

Also, bottom of trunk looking up toward the sky appears to have rot. May just be the picture.

Car still has eyeball, in a mellowed/worn in sort of way.

Pretty healthy price already.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
Pretty healthy price already.

Yeah, $10,500 as an opening price seems a bit high. But you never know...

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It was $12,500 last go 'round .....

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Cool car. Not trying to be negative on purpose, but I never understand why engine bay shots are not included by sellers. Drives me nuts!

G

I agree with TR4nut. With TR2s,what could be lurking under the hood could effect the price considerably.

D

Deleted member 8987

There is an under bonnet shot. Last picture.
Lots of rot issues in the spare tyre compartment and under the rear apron.

Rode hard, put away wet.

The 12,500 seems to be gone.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ben's got one - so he needs another one.

- Doug

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
This car was on Bringatrailer site for awhile. At least the guys is honest enough to disclose that the body was re hashed a long time ago. It looks good enough to drive now. Too bad TRs in this shape can't be bought for $5,000 anymore. Its too hard to say what its like under the paint though. OD gearbox and wire wheels , pretty neat. Kevin

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Not me Doug..... Seems he's got the same TR2 sickness I do. I tried to command a bit of a premium on the sale of my project because it's a "Rare" TR2. Didn't work. Everybody talks like the 2 is some unobtainable rarity of the TR world, but they don't command any more than a 3 or 3a unless they are meticulously put back to original. That's why mine is staying here, and getting put back together, rat rod style, to be driven. not an investment. I don't have the money to do it 100% correct, or buy a "less rare" TR3 to do as a driver.
Reality check for me. I duped myself into being one of those idiots that drive me crazy on the online auctions.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
I do wonder, though, what happened to the presumably original hardtop, as the fittings for same are still present on the rear tonneau cappings?
You'd have to ask, of course, but it seems to be in one of the photos, so perhaps it is included.

Attachments

• 23947.jpg
    23947.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 512

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Banjo said:
but they don't command any more than a 3 or 3a unless they are meticulously put back to original.

For me, the stumbling point is the front drum brakes. I owned a TR3 with front drums for several years, and never could get them to where I felt I could rely on them. And if you are going to upgrade to discs, why not just start with a late TR3?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't decided how I'm going yet, but I have a full front disc brake setup from a TR4A that I parted out. I have to rebuild hydraulics either way, so there's not much difference there. As for the "why" I like the look of the small mouth front end, and the other differences in detail, like no outer door handles.
All small stuff, but add it all up to converting the stuff on a later 3A, and you might as well put the discs on the 2.
but all that is personal preference. It's an argument with no right or wrong.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Banjo said:
but they don't command any more than a 3 or 3a unless they are meticulously put back to original.

For me, the stumbling point is the front drum brakes. I owned a TR3 with front drums for several years, and never could get them to where I felt I could rely on them.

Randall likes to really motor!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
TOC said:
There is an under bonnet shot. Last picture.

Seller added the engine shot today, maybe he's lurking on the board!

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

I sent the seller an email requesting a pic of the Engine Bay yesterday. He sent it to me & then posted it.

I`m not 100% certain but did`nt "ALL" TR2s have the "Cable Locking" mechanism located in 2 places under the Bonnet? Bill Piggott says it had this locking mechanism up to "TS4229". As I`m writing; I don`t recall what he said the commission # is. There is "Oversray" in quite a few places to include the Steering Wheel (Paint hides a ton of "Ugly" stuff). Not being picky but note that the "Rear Bumper Brackets" are "Welded" to the Chassis. There`s somekind of Home made bracket on the Inner Wheel Well thats welded & supporting something (Horn, Radiator)??

If you look at the suspension pic; Would`nt you think that if someone went to all the trouble of shooting a coat of paint on the car that they would at least blow off the "Cobwebs" under the car!!

He has a hit on it for $10K & In my opinion; Probably one his buddies.

Anyways; "It is what it is".

Have Fun Watching,

Russ
PS: I suggested he put it on "BJ" auction to get the "Biggest Bang for His Buck"!!

PPS: His commission # is: TS4945L!! I stand corrected on the locking mechanism.

G

Viewing the pics again. Look at the pic of the dash gauge cluster. To the right,is that daylight I see comming through the floor,or just my imagination? Fred Flintstone a previous owner?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Banjo said:
As for the "why" I like the look of the small mouth front end, and the other differences in detail, like no outer door handles.
All small stuff, but add it all up to converting the stuff on a later 3A,
Er, just for clarity, I was talking about a late TR3, not 3A, which also has the small mouth front, no outside door handles, and factory front disc brakes. It also has the stronger rear axle, high port head, larger carbs, etc.

And bigger brakes than a 4A
grin.gif

Of course it's still all personal preference; I was just suggesting that the various shortcomings that were later corrected by the factory may be the reason that TR2s are only "extra valuable" as concours restorations, not drivers. Then again, I may be somewhat prejudiced :laugh:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
For me, the stumbling point is the front drum brakes. I owned a TR3 with front drums for several years, and never could get them to where I felt I could rely on them. And if you are going to upgrade to discs, why not just start with a late TR3?
I confess to no personal experience with all-drum-braked earlier TRs, but I've many, many years of experience with all-drum-braked Heralds. Other than the potential for fade with heavy use on long downhill descents, I've no complaints. Similarly, I've helped a friend maintain his MGA 1500 for a number of years now. It also has Lockheed drum brakes all around. Again, neither of us has had any cause to complain about the brakes. If I've any complaint at all, it's about the availability of good quality (read: OEM) replacement wheel cylinders and such.

I'll not argue the merits of disc brakes, but I just don't see front drums as inherently bad.