• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

hi guys!

novelist10

hey, i was referred to this site from a different forum. i am contemplating a trade right now and was looking for some info. i have a 1952 willys 4x4 pickup, a fairly nice one, and a fellow wants to trade me a 1960 triumph tr10 sedan for it. i know a lot about the spitfires and the tr6 thru tr8. i know very little about the tr10. any thoughts, general overview of the cars, and engine and parts availablilty would be appreciated. thanks, and keep the shiny side up. :driving:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There novelist,

Personally; I`m not very familiar with the Triumph Sedan Models but I`m sure someone will chime in here soon & would be able to give you some info on the TR10.

Relative to an "EVEN" trade; I suspect it all depends on the Condition of Your Willys and What "You" feel it may be worth in todays market.

Why don`t you post a pic of the "Willys & TR10" here & Then you`ll surely get some real good suggestions / ideas on value.

Have Fun,

Russ

PS: I`m curious about the Willys as My "Brother-in-Law" has one (Stock) with the Flathead, 4x4, 4 Speed (I think its a 4 speed) pick-up & I just may be in the market for "Another" toy car!! "Why Me"????????

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
First, I'll confess to being one of the world's biggest fans of the Triumph 10 sedan and wagon. That said, I'm also a realist. From what little data is available, I would guess that a stock 1952 Willys 4x4 pickup is worth roughly twice as much as a stock Triumph 10 sedan in equivalent condition, so I'm not recommending an even swap as such.

Beyond value, both have their place in today's world, with the Willys still being a very capable hauler and the Triumph being an enjoyable and economical around-town ride. Neither (in stock form) would be very practical on today's highways at speed, but that's generally not why people own either vehicle!

Parts are not terribly difficult to source for the Triumph, but some -- if available at all -- might have to come from England and one might have to dig deep to find them. I'd guess that parts support for the Willys is rather better.

Obviously it's an apples v. oranges situation. You don't see many of either vehicle, and both would draw attention wherever they were!

OP
N

novelist10

aha! ok, i can put a link up to a video of the willys. :cowboy:

-2WNaiA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

OP
N

novelist10

and thats the tr10

Attachments

• 20009.jpg
    20009.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 341

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Both pretty cool, any chance of acquiring the pair?

OP
N

novelist10

well i have the willys already of course. i was kinda thinkin of askin the guy what he would want just for the tr10 as a cash deal, that way i can have my cake and eat it too.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
How solid and straight is the 10? How complete is it; i.e., how much of what I don't see in the photo (bumper, side trim, etc.) is present and accounted for? How much work is needed on mechanical systems, and how is the interior? At quick glance at one iffy photo, I'd have trouble getting near four figures for the car. (Again, as much as I love them, I'm a realist....)

Country flag
Hey...I know! Keep the Willys, put a TR6(?) motor in it and have it all! :laugh:

Country flag
If you get the 10, find a usty late model spitfire and use the parts off of it on the 10. Most of the stuff will bolt right in. We did that to a 10 estate wagon. You can have disc brakes on it. Ours has a 1500 engine, disc brakes, the later hyds and wire wheels.

Bad news, it not worth anything moneywise but otherwise pretty cool at the car shows.

Marv

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree - that Willys is worth at least twice as
much as the Triumph.The 10's I've seen never seem to go
for a lot of money.
I have a phone number for one that was for sale
awhile back.Is anyone interested in it?

- Doug

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Welcome hope to see future posts from ya but I gotta agree...while a British car fan at heart I like the Willy's better...sorry...

OP
N

novelist10

thanks for the input guys. perhaps i shall hang on to the old truck. its not a bad rig, just wildly impractical to drive. though it sounds like the tr10 wouldnt be much more practical.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I think you're smart to hang onto the Willys; it looks nice and solid and straight...and doesn't sound too bad, either! Not much of a commuter or pleasure vehicle, but definitely useful (trips to the landfill or home improvement center or woodlot). Of course, the Triumph 10 has a fold-down rear seat allowing a long load space, so.... (I'm just saying! :laugh: )

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
I'd keep the willys. The 10 looks unique, but limited use, low power, low speed, not a hyway car etc.
Rob

Twosheds

Darth Vader
When I was a kid, a neighbor had a Willys pick-up. If we were behind his truck on the way home, we were in for a slow trip. I don't think he went over 10 or 15 MPH. There were no places to pass him on the streets of Morgantown, so we just had to relax and enjoy the scenery.