• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oh no! More German Cars!?!?

Bret

Yoda
Ok is there something wrong with me? Quick, someone check my Vitals?

Now I'm not an expert or all that versed on the Bavarian Motor Works. But by shear happenstance I was visiting on a work related mater with some associates and we decided to take a lunch break. I offered to drive us in my Truck but we elected to go in another guy’s 2000 BMW 740i.

Now I’d seen them for years and always liked the styling (better than the replacements anyway) and I loved the one they used in the Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies”.

Overall impression - for a sedan I was pretty impressed with the overall package. Loved the interior and OMG that V8! I can’t imagen what it’d be to drive the later version of the 740iL with the V12.

A long time back I was considering an older XJ6 or a more newer XJ8. But while I don’t know if I’d ever get a BMW 740i, I must admit if I was in the market for a used family sedan as a daily driver & weekend duties – I’d certainly consider one of these.

Steve_S

Yoda
I've owned a 7-Series. Lovely cars, but about as boring as you can imagine. It's a big, heavy, quiet, smooth, luxurious family sedan. Perhaps the best highway car you could hope for, but not much for excitement. I enjoyed mine greatly on the open road, but I don't miss it.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Point taken Steve.

But when compaired to the last sedan I owned (a 2000 Dodge Intrepid) this BMW is downright sexy.

In fact the 740i I got to ride in was nice black on black with a Darth Vader leather interior. Gobbs of "in your face" character when stacked up against anything the Big Three’ve ever put out for the public’s consumption.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Bret, it's a sickness.......almost akin to LBCs. I drive a 5-series Bimmer on a daily basis, and I love it! Wife and both sons own VW passats. Both daughters have Jettas. These German cars are addictive. You've got a Porsche, why am I telling you that? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Bret said:
Point taken Steve.

But when compaired to the last sedan I owned (a 2000 Dodge Intrepid) this BMW is downright sexy.

wait a minute, you mean my 2000 Intrepid isn't sexy?! Oh yeah right, it isn't

Used to have a Passat - a blast to drive but build quality sucked. They did a survey in Germany recently and asked Germans, what are the best cars?

Top 4 (not in order)

Mercedes
Audi
VW
BMW

Bottom 4

Nissan
Toyota
Mazda
Honda

Next question - what is the best car you've ever owned

Top 4

Nissan
Toyota
Mazda
Honda

Bottom 4

Mercedes
Audi
VW
BMW

I still drool over them but there are big quality issues even for Mercedes

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Our little 91 318is is a hoot. About the last of the boxy 80s Bimmers. It's got the 5 speed, and the little 4 banger wakes up around 3200 RPM. I love the seats, and the handeling is good. it also get on average 32 MPG.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Many of the 3-series cars here were sold to be used as the kids' college transporter... can't tell ya how many I saw "all stove up" 'cause the kid at the helm couldn't gather it up in the wet: "I dunno HOW it happened! It just went out of control on its own!" --yeah, right. Just another "pedal mis-application" circumstance.

Generated lots of work for the shoddy-bop. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Still lots of cheap 3-series floating around. Was actually considering one for my son. But due to his poor grades - that's something I won't have to worry about for a long time.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I really like the E36 3 series cars (92to 99?) They drive like they are carved from a solid block, and at least the ones I work on seem to be super reliable. My son has a coupe and loves it.I have one customer with a 96 with about 180K on it. Clutch once at over 100K, and otherwise, brakes, services and little else.I'd buy it from them now.
Still, for the German cars, I love my Audi. It is an 87 5000 turbo Quattro wagon. 22mpg commuting, 32 on the highway, and nothing the weather can do upsets it. It is starting to be hard to find trim bits tho, and that does not bode well. I am looking for door seals, and stuff like that, but so far..... Oh well, there are always used parts I suppose.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I keep forgetting it's 2007... twenty year old cars, unless they're either "special interest" or luxo-types (Rolls, big Benz lumps) the parts are getting harder to locate.

Unfortunately my best parts manager for Porsche-Audi bits has passed away recently (and prematurely) but I'll still call the same place for odd or old P-A parts. If you want to give 'em a try, Jesse, I'll PM you the info.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Doing some further research I discovered that besides the Bond movie mentioned above the 7-series was also used in a number of movies.

But the best has to be the Transporter (although I suspect it wasn’t stock) that really put a good spot light on the car. Granted according to the sites I’ve visited the E38 Bimmer used in that movie was actually a 735 (not a 740) but what the heck it’s still sweat.

Don’t know if the 735's where ever sold here in the states, but it’s Ninja good looks & a manual look like it’d be a great car.

R6MGS

Yoda
Aside from a few porsches and the odd benz I've always hated German stlying, BMW's especially. I agree with the build quality issues, i am sure some of you have read my Jetta thread...My sister in-law has a 99 and a 05 3 series convertibles...both have been plagued with problems. When it comes to luxury cars I've got kind of a love/hate thing going with my STS...when it's running properly it's about as perfect as a luxury sedan can get....but when it's got problems, it's really got problems.