• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mystery part Ident please

fogliner

The picture shows the part that was found in the bottom of both the float bowls on my HS4's,buried in the long dried lacquer and sediment.
Any Idea's on what it is? Perhaps a part off the original float for setting the level? Just curious.

The next question I have is on setting the float levels on HS4's with the new style "All Plastic" floats.
Where is the proper place to measure from?

I've read about using fibre washers to shim the needle seat to achieve the 1/8" gap between the machined lip on the floatbowl lid and the float but the float sits at an extreme angle when upside down.
The lowest part on the float is opposite the needle when upside down and I would think a 1/8" drill bit layed beside the needle and across and under the tip of the float to the opposite edge would be the way but if anyone can help it would be appreciated. :cheers:

Mark

Attachments

• 23576.jpg
    23576.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 283

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mark, I haven't a clue what that part is, but as far as adjusting the float, the manual says to take the top off, turn it upside down and lay a 3/8ths"/9.5 mm round bar across it under the curve,(fork), of float lever. Bend the lever, (below the fork), so it just touches the bar with the needle valve closed. That's from a T series workshop manual on an 1 1/2 inch HS-4. PJ

OP
fogliner

fogliner

Thanks PAUL but the new style floats are all plastic with no brass lever so one has to use shim washers under the seat I believe.
Here is a picture of the upside down float from the side view.

As you see the float sits at quite an angle.

Sorry pic never went through the first try.

Attachments

• 23577.jpg
    23577.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 292
OP
fogliner

fogliner

I did some scouting on another MG forum history and found some info on the new style floats. The concensus was to just install the new style float and do nothing,don't shim under the needle seat or shim up the float bowl lids with double gaskets. :smirk:
The lowest point on my floats are almost level with the machined lip on the lids(no shim) which should give me a fairly high float level, and if I have to I can shim the needle seats and lower the float level a tad if my thinking is correct.
The picture above shows the float with one thin fiber washer as a shim and its just a bit under 1/8"
Thanks for any tips. :cheers:

Mark

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Check out the post on the forum for the Moss youtube clips. They suggest the fiber washers to adjust the float level. I've always had the "old" style and just bend the hinge to get the correct float level.

OP
fogliner

fogliner

No dangit,But I am getting a little wiser about the all plastic floats.I still haven't figured out how to get to the Forum for the Moss motors youtube channel though.
Ralph s ..could you post a link to the forum by chance?

Thanks Mark

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Amazing how something so remote can bug you at times. Every time I see this post, I look at that item. Since both bowls had one in it, the only thing I can think of is, someone might have tried to make a device to shim the floats down lower for what ever reason. Evidentially, if that's the case, the idea didn't work very well. Naturally it's only a guess. The only one that can truly answer the question is the one that did it in the first place. Interesting though. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That thingie looks similar to the clips designed to hold needles (with a thin wire attached to the needle) onto float tangs in some other carbs. Never saw an SU fitted with that kind of rig tho.

Country flag
They're the remains of Jimmy Hoffa's cuff links! Someone REALLY didn't want him to be found - EVER!
grin.gif

In other words I haven't a clue either!! LoL

OP
fogliner

fogliner

Good one Silverghost I L'd mao,you may be right :lol:. I thought the same thing about the jury rigged float adjuster PAUL and if you look at the float in my second pic,there is another hole just above the needle head and it looked like it was for another brass pin to possibly hold that piece but no sign of a second brass float pin of course.Oh well who knows :nonod:
The brand new "all plastic" floats that I've acquired don't have that extra hole anyhow.

Thanks for all the input.-----------Mark

Attachments

• 23592.jpg
    23592.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 123