• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More on Chrome Plating

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
This is a stock unplated valve cover that I had chrome plated this week in RI. The cost was $125. It is not as good as my bumpers, but not bad. Two very small flaws, but they are probably only really annoying to me. This is not getting any cheaper.

Then of course comes the traditional "gluing of the gasket and making it stay in the groove trick".

valvecover 001 (Custom).jpg

valvecover 002 (Custom).jpg

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hey paul, are you going to stick with the aftermarket cover or are you going to put the chrome one on? if your gonna get rid of the aftermarket one im stil interested. just keep that in mind. oh btw, i got another tr6, this one driving so when it warms up in a few weeks i wouldnt mind driving it over and checking yours out if your interested? well i just need to sort the cooling system first.......but anyway let me know!
Randy

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Randy,

I plan to run with this one for awhile and monitor the oil consumption issue, now that I'll have a baffle again. The problem is that this time of year, I don't get many miles put on, so it will be awhile before I know.

But if I decide to sell it, you will be first on the list. I'm sorry that I can't commit at this time, but I just don't know yet. This should correct the problem, with a possible addition of a small roll pin acting as a restricter in the auxiliary oil line to decrease the volume getting up to the head.

The valve cover and line were on the only changes that I made that could be causing the oil issue, since it started right after the changes.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Paul & Happy Daylight Savings Time:

My TR will be out Today & Tomorrow For Sure with the Temps Hitting "60 deg"!

Randy; Your Valve Cover Looks Great to Me! $125.00 is Not bad at All: Would You Please Email Myself (toysrrus@localnet.com), or Post here, so the Whole World can have this Info. as to Who, Where etc etc did the Plating for You: I would like to contact them & Get a Quote for My "Luggage Rack":

Thanx, Russ

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hey paul, thanks if you do decide that just pm me. Russ, that is pauls valve cover also, not mine. i too would like the info on the chrome plater if you would paul, i wouldnt mind having my valve cover redone at some point. thanks!
Randy

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
For platers in New England, I would recommend the following two shops:

1. https://nu-chrome.com/index.html

2. https://www.newenglandchrome.com/

Expect to pay about what I did, $125 and wait from 4-10 weeks, depending on the load in the shops. This is a time consuming and expensive process if done correctly. They do not and will not take short cuts, so it is what it is.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Paul;

Thanx from the Whole Gallery! Your Info. is a Blessing to Everyone: I`m going (Tomorrow) to get in touch with the Two Platers You suggest as well as "Pauls Chrome" & See Who is the Quickest & Least Costliest (Not necessarily in that Order)! 4-10wks. seems like a Really Long Time especially 10wks: That would bring me into May!!! Well; I`ll let the Whole Group know What My Findings will be:

Thanx Again;

Russ

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Russ, you're not gonna like hearing this, but here it is. I stopped in Hartford today with my luggage rack. It's the Amco version, all tubes, no flat bars. As I said earlier, it has some pits on it, but it's better described as being a fair to decent rack, but not show piece by any means.

I any event, none of that matters. These parts are so labor intensive to strip, buff and polish, IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THEM CORRECTLY, that it becomes nearly cost prohibitive.

The estimate that I got was $300 plus tax. As you can well imagine, it's back in my trunk. Not that the price wasn't fair, it's just that it's not a priority for me at this time. If I could buy a second trunk lid and have it painted to match the car, then I'd mount this on it and use it when we went on a trip or overnight club event. I'm not making any holes in my original trunk, no matter what I get it done for.

toysrrus

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Hi Paul:

I`ve been waiting for Your reply but certainly anticipating some Better News! As I had previously mentioned; I pd. $65.00 for the Rack incl. Shipping: I was hoping to hear $200.00 Max: But even @ $300.00, I`m still ahead of the game vs. Moss`s $375.00; I Guess?? What did they Quote You relative to "Delivery"; If You got that far??

I guess I`m going to give "Pauls Chrome" a Shot and See What Happens:

Thanx from the Gallery;

Russ

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sorry Russ. We never got to the delivery part of the date. The thrill was gone after the price hit the brain cells. Worked faster than an ice cold shower.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm going to take this to the other two just for the heck of it and see what they say.

Films at 11.....

T

Tinster

AM or PM??

I thought only Doc Bill and I were up and about
most days by 5:00 AM.

d

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
One of the best bumper platers in the US is North Star Plating in Barinerd, MN. Quality repairs and fine craftsmanship for a fair price. North Star routinely beats the competition's prices and they turn out great quality. But don't ask them to chrome a grille or a valve cover...they only do bumpers.

North Star Plating 218-829-4063. They are part of Keystone Automotive and you can go direct or thru a Keystone store.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dale, I'm up early every morning. Remember that I work with engineers. As I recall, they never sleep.

On weekends it's to play golf so I can be home playing with the car in the afternoons.