• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just ordered a new car

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
First time I've ever ordered a new car, and not just bought what was around. After 4.5 years with my Hyundai Accent it was time to get something with 4 doors. I must say, the Hyundai was rock solid and cheap to run, but with 84k miles on it the time was now.

So I've got a 2009 Honda Fit Sport (5-speed) on order in black. This is a neat little car, with very clever use of space. I'm a big fan of small cars (no surprise there) and really appreciate clever touches. I haul a bunch of gear around all the time, and need good space use. All the locally available ones were autos, and I just couldn't do that again. :smile:

So I've been quoted 3-4 weeks for delivery (as of a week ago), so now I wait it out. My Hyundai, incidentally, sold in less than 12 hours for the full advertised price. I had 2 full price offers, actually. Good to be selling a fuel efficient car right now -- part of the reason I made the move now. Sell 'em while they still have some value. Glad it wasn't it wasn't a Hummer...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think you're gonna love it. I rode in one in Honduras several years ago, and was very impressed. They had them there before we even heard of them!

Enjoy!

Mickey

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
Nice, I'm holding on to the Mustang till it hits 300k, then I'll buy a new car and sell this one on the private sector. I'm seriously considering ordering a new Miata (if they still make them) six speed, black with a yellow "helmet stripe".

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew,

A "new" car to me would be something in the '90's.
I bought a 1979 Fiesta new,probably the last "new" car
that I'll ever buy.

- Doug

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My last couple of drivers have been new cars, from the low end of the cost spectrum. It's one of those things you can argue both ways -- for me the warranty and reliability are worth the extra cost, though I can appreciate going used all the time as well.

The Fit is one of the few new cars (that I could afford) that I actually want. Haven't been many these days that were interesting at all.

Country flag
I'm inclined to think that buying new for the long term isn't that bad a proposition, if you can afford treating it as an investment and not just try to minimize the immediate cost.

Sure you take a hit on depreciation in the first couple of years, but you can get exactly what you want and know how well (or not) its been taken care of.

We have a van adapted for carrying a wheelchair that would have been very difficult to find used; and its entirely to our needs. A previous attempt with buying one used was rather less successful.

And our previous new car is now 16 years old and we hope to squeeze a few more years from it yet may be even until I retire....

All my LBCs were bought used (derelict, even), and most of my previous cars were fairly used when acquired but I'm now inclined to spend more and get something I'll be comfortable with keeping for a while....

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
After putting the 2nd engine in a Ford van I had a few years back I decided that my daily driver would be a new purchase. I drive quite a bit, including a lot of late night drives in all sorts of weather -- the product of being an active musician. The higher cost is reasonable to me to get a known quantity in terms of service history and such. Not the same decision others come to, and I can respect that.

Working on cars is something I do for fun, not out of necessity. I've been there before, and now prefer to just drive my regular cars. I've got plenty of work to do on my Tunebug to keep me plenty busy.
grin.gif

Now my new car just needs to get here! :smile:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew,

I didn't mean to offend you.I look buying
most new cars like buying an appliance it's
all about money,depreciation,& application.This
is how I felt when my Wife wanted a new(er)car.
However,if I was buying something new for
my own use,common sense would probably go out
the window ( I did look at a Focus SVT when they were new).

- Doug

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No offense taken, Doug, none at all. :smile:

We're one car down right now, and it's actually sort of nice. Less to maintain, less to feed with gas. Of course, it means riding my motorcycle to work today. Not a bad thing, but it's 35f right now. Brrrrr!