• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ordered new exhaust

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Even though I'm pretty far yet from actually installing it, I just ordered a new Bell stainless steel exhaust system for my E. SNG had them on sale so I figured since I know I need a new one anyway, might as well get it now and save a few $$.

I bought a Bell system from SNG for my S type, back in 2005.

to say the least, the mufflers and resonators are show-quality and the fit of each pipe was perfect, included all the rubbers, mid section hangers, and seals.

I installed it myself using Permatex exhaust adhesive. I still don't know who Bell is, but they are in the UK and the business is called Bell Silencers Ltd.

Someone told me Bell had the original Jaguar exhaust blueprints.

here's a picture of mine before installation, the sound is like an XK-120.

Ex

Attachments

• 20984.jpg
    20984.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 310
Exotexs said:
I bought a Bell system from SNG for my S type, back in 2005.

to say the least, the mufflers and resonators are show-quality and the fit of each pipe was perfect, included all the rubbers, mid section hangers, and seals.

I installed it myself using Permatex exhaust adhesive. I still don't know who Bell is, but they are in the UK and the business is called Bell Silencers Ltd.

Someone told me Bell had the original Jaguar exhaust blueprints.

here's a picture of mine before installation, the sound is like an XK-120.

Ex

How difficult was the self-installation? When you fit to sections together, it there a pre-determined distance that one piece slides onto the other, or do you have to do a lot of "adjusting"? Do the section slide together easily or did you have to use a mallet?

no malleting Basil, all the parts fit together very precisely and easily, allowing for adjusting as needed. I wore clean fabric gloves so I wouldn't spoil the shiny polished parts! (sorry if that sounds ridiculous but I'm a perfectionist).

I raised the car, placing a concrete block under each tire to get max height, then placed supporting jacks front and rear, then I slid under on a mechanic's "dolly", and started attaching and aligning the pieces starting with the front down pipes at the manifolds, inserting the *clamps over the pipes but not tightening them until everything was right and aligned.

*Clamps: the hardware kit included stainless steel clamps but they were the "U" "Midas" muffler shop kind which crimps and distorts the joints as they are tightened and make it impossible to separate the parts later. I did not use them. Instead I ordered Flat Band polished stainless clamps from:

https://www.burnsstainless.com/hardwaresupplies.aspx

Band clamps allow for parts to be separated in the future. Jaguar never welded exhaust systems, they used Band clamps and "Firegum" exhaust adhesive/sealer. Firegum is not available in the US, but Permatex makes a similar product.

Unlike other stainless exhaust systems, Bell does not cut the long pipes in two for "shipping purposes", everything is made just like the original Jaguar system which minimizes clamps. If there was a hook hanger welded to the original part, it will be there, in stainless.

With 5 mufflers in my system, I expected the S type to be as silent as my XJ-6, but no, the Bell S type exhaust sounds throaty like a XK-120.

Ex

NOTE:
I think I know what you're asking:
the pipes are pre-set so that one pipe fits into the other exactly lengthwise, what I mean by "adjusting" is that you might need to "turn" the pipes one way or the other after one is inserted into the other, and that was easy to do once they were lubricated with the Permatex product.

the tips were also included in polished stainless.

last, take your time while assembling it, think of it as assembling a precision Model Car kit, and enjoy the job.

I remember checking with Dick Ames when I was looking for the S type's exhaust system, but the parts were not polished, they were "raw metal" like you would get at a Midas, and his price was higher than the Bell system from SNG Barrat.

yes, those are like the originals and almost like band clamps, used all the way to 1992 Jaguar and maybe still in use today, but I don't like the way they "crimp" the parts together, also distorting the pipe and muffler joins like the "U" clamps. The flat Band does a better job of securing the pieces, not as "destructive" in my opinion.

Ex